Thursday, November 6, 2014

My, what large ears you have

Reina draws and draws and colors and draws some more.  She draws elaborate cross-sections of houses with purple curtains and pink beds and big rooms for her and her cats and a little tiny closet-sized space at the top of stairs for the rest of us.  She draws a picture of her big cousin's graduation and asks me how to spell "I love my family."  She draws unicorns and horses and babies and most of all, cats.  Cats with giant heads and big pink ears.  Cats that say "meow" under a sky filled with fluffy clouds and butterflies.  Cats that only have 3 legs but maybe it's a perspective thing.  We found out at Reina's parent-teacher conference last week that she's a little hard on herself in the classroom.  She's as smart as a whip and learning everything quickly.  She just gets down on herself when her teacher corrects her, points out a misspelled word, etc.  Frankly, she probably gets that from me.  (My family members are scoffing at the "probably" part of that sentence.)  So I'm trying to find a way to let her know that it's okay to be corrected, that's how we learn. In the meantime, I'm going to keep encouraging kitty pictures and everything else that comes out of that quirky little brain of hers.   

No comments: