Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Monkey bars and other milestones

Glenn was under the weather this morning so I dropped kiddos off at school.  I hung out with Will on the playground before the bell rang because he wanted to show me what he could do on the monkey bars.  At he beginning of the school year, he wanted badly to be able cross them by himself but he couldn't quite do it.  Well, today he scrambled back and forth across the bars like a, well .....monkey.  It is so neat to see him work on something by himself and master it.  This whole year has been one big milestone for Will.  Leaving Montessori, kindergarten, all the growing up that he's doing, it is one thing after another for this kid.  Reading is just around the corner.  His writing is getting clearer and most importantly, his enthusiasm for writing and reading are increasing.  He lectures Reina on what sounds each letter makes and corrects her pronunciation of 'Barack Obama.'  (Reina had asked me "who's broccoli bama?").  After watching The Great Monkey Bars Routine of 2012, I told Will that I had to go to work and that I'd see him after school. He jumped down from the playground equipment and said, "Don't forget to give me a hug before you go.". My heart melted.  I may not know  everything about little boys, but I'm pretty sure my days of getting a hug on the playground are limited.  I'll take them while I can get them. 

No comments: