Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans' Day

I'm going to take a short break from documenting the intricacies of Will and Reina's daily life to talk about Veterans' Day for a minute.  I was filling out a worksheet for Reina's preschool last week and we had to list family members who had served in the military - each class was making stars to honor all of the Veterans.  I listed her great-grandfathers Dunlap and Pauley (my grandfather and Glenn's respectively) who had served in WWII.  Talking to my mom this week, I was reminded that my great-grandfather Smith served in WWI. I knew that we had a relative (great-great-?) who fought the Confederacy in the Civil War.  This summer, my aunt sent me a copy of my grandmother's DAR application and I was able to read a little about my however-many-great grandfather who fought in the American Revolution - Colonel Whitmell Hill of North Carolina.  I have relatives (AW - I'm looking at you!) who know much, much more about this than I do, but I hope to learn more about the Colonel and the generations that came after him. For fun, I did google his name and found that not only does he have his own Wikipedia page but he also has a historical marker - http://www.stoppingpoints.com/north-carolina/sights.cgi?marker=Whitmel+Hill&cnty=Halifax

Cool.  So to the Colonel and all of the other Veterans today, thank you for your service! 

No comments: