Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Stoics

So, despite my pronouncement last year that Glenn would be in charge of the juvenile flu shots this year, (remember last year's ordeal?  http://www.williamfrederick.blogspot.com/2012/12/we-call-them-immunizations.html) I made an appointment for both kiddos to get immunized this afternoon.  Will didn't have school and I took the afternoon off to run errands, wash the car, alienate my children, you know, regular Thursday afternoon stuff. After a quick visit with cousin Ainsley, where Will actually patted her head and held her hand this time and sat right night next to me so that he could pat said head and hold said hand, we picked Reina up and headed to the doctor.  I avoided Will's "Reina, you are getting a shot" announcement that caused so much consternation last year by telling her in the parking lot on the way out of the school.  She took the news pretty well and Will was surprisingly unmoved when I told him earlier.  So off we went to the doctor's office.  When it was our turn to be called back, the kids were quiet but calm.  Will volunteered to go first and warning bells clanged in my brain because that's what he did last year, but he sat up on the table, covered his eyes for the actual injection and didn't make a peep.  I was floored.  First graders are the new sixth graders apparently.  When it was her turn, Reina calmly laid back on the table and only was slightly alarmed when she bled a little bit afterwards.  She happily got a sparkly star sticker to put on her upper leg (I barked, "Don't show that sticker to your friends, Reina!") and we went about our afternoon.  What a difference 12 months makes.   I think I'll have Glenn take next year's shift, just in case it's one of those "Have a giant freak-out in even years" kind of event. 

No comments: