Monday, May 25, 2020

Day 72

It's Memorial Day! It was nice to have a three day weekend but this one definitely looked a little different than previous Memorial Days.  The weather wasn't great.  Saturday was the warmest day but that was only in the 70's.  Yesterday it rained on and off and today didn't make it out of the 60's.  But we have a nice forecast for the rest of the week so hopefully our gardens and flowers will start to grow.

Glenn went turkey hunting on Friday and surprised us by coming back early on Saturday night.  Reina spent the night at the Pauley grandparents after Alena came up on Saturday afternoon and she and I hiked/jogged some trails up at Curt Gowdy. I think half the county was up there on Saturday and afterwards I felt a little guilty about traipsing around such a crowded place.  We tried to keep our distance but some of the trails were pretty packed.  Hopefully our jogging help us outdistance any germs. On Sunday, Glenn and Will went down to pick up Reina so I had a blissful few hours in the house by myself.  What did I do?  Walked the dogs in the rain, put away some laundry and took a nap.  So basically a regular Sunday afternoon. 

Today we ran a few errands, Glenn and Will mowed the yard and then we had the little cousins come over for the afternoon.  It was the first time since quarantine started and it was so fun to have them back.  Even though it has been a few months, the preschool cousin remembered the books we always read before nap and he even asked me to take a nap with him.  OF COURSE I WILL!   As we were reading, he told me that if you don't wear a shirt when it's raining, you can get coronavirus. Clearly the kid is headed for the medical profession.  Kindergarten cousin and I made a little batch of cookies and she washed dishes which is still one of her favorite things to do at our house.  She reminds me to make sure there aren't any knives in the sink - safety first!  Before naptime, all four cousins were setting up a big car race in the living room featuring all of Will's Cars collection.  It was fun to see all of them together, even though it inevitably ended in arguing between the two oldest cousins (mine) and then everyone else getting distracted by other toys and pets. 

The kids have about a week and a half of school left. I have my first work trip in months this week.  I'm a little on edge about the traveling but I'm going to take some precautions so I can be as safe as possible. When I ran my errands today, I saw a lot of people wearing masks and I thought that was encouraging.  I view wearing the masks as an act of kindness, not an act of fear.   I've tried to adapt as many of my errands and shopping for curbside pick-up whenever possible but sometimes I still have to go inside to buy potting soil or toilet paper or cat food.  Or especially M&M's.  I can never get a regular sized bag of M&M's in my Target to-go order.  Maybe they are trying to tell me something? 

So that's where we are.  On the cusp of summer with a lot of things that still look different.  But so thankful for cousin time and green grass.

No comments: