Thursday, May 21, 2020

Day 68

Day 68 can be summed as follows: 

While I was cleaning up dinner, Coco snuck out the door behind Glenn as he went to sit on the front porch and talk to a friend on the phone about turkey hunting.  Unbeknownst to the rest of us, Coco shimmied up the tallest aspen tree in our front yard.  This tree is tall.  The other aspen are in front of the house and lead to the roof but this one is on it's own.  Glenn gets off the phone and says "Hey Lucy, you should come out and see this."  I think he's talking about a family of hawks who've been hanging out nearby but instead I see Coco perched in the top of the tree, think it's cute for about 30 seconds and then start to panic about my weird calico cat and a two-story plunge to the ground.  She tries heading down the tree a few times but can't find solid footing so immediately turns back up the tree and climbs a little higher.  She also keeps getting distracted by the birds flying by so she's not really too concerned about her predicament.  Naturally.  I start to panic.  Reina starts to panic.  Will and Glenn are calm but I do notice a little bit of tension in Will's voice when he asks Glenn to get the ladder after Glenn tried climbing the tree himself.  Coco starts to meow.  I start to cry which makes Reina howl.  Right before this, Reina ran to our neighbor's to ask if they have a really tall ladder (our neighbors are saints, truly.  We have more crises than the average neighbor and 90% of our crises involve pets getting out or four-square balls stuck in tall trees.)  Anyway, I'm calling for Coco to come towards us while also trying to figure out where I should stand so I can catch her if she loses her grip, she's meowing, Glenn's insisting that she can get down on her own (I know she probably could but  I couldn't leave her out there to try).  Will suggests using a big 2x4 to see if she'll climb down that.  It doesn't reach her spot from the ground but Glenn climbs up our ladder and holds the board in place.  After a little investigation and coaxing, she starts to walk down the board to Glenn.  He grabs her, hands the board to Will, hands the cat to me and is the hero of the day.  All's well that end's well.    Phew.  

No comments: