Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Piano girl

Reina has been taking piano lessons since last Spring.  Her teacher came highly recommended and seems to have endless ways to teach 7-yr olds how to play the piano.  Reina took a short break towards the end of summer but she's been back at it since school started.  Tonight as I was watching her lesson -- side note:  Reina's teacher likes for a parent to stay so that we can help with practice during the week. I feel like I'm auditing the piano lessons and getting close to fulfilling one of my life goals - to play the piano with both hands!  Anyway back to Reina - as I listened to Reina play with both hands and read the notes on the bass clef, I was amazed at how much she's learned in such a relatively short time.  Her teacher is putting together some Christmas songs for Reina to start working on, I'm not sure who's more excited about that.  Probably me.

We have a piano that I brought back from my Grandma's house in Minnesota a few years ago.  Reina was grumpy about practicing over the weekend so I dusted off an electronic keyboard I'd stuck under the guest bed when we first moved into this house.  We couldn't find the power cord so I stuffed it full of AA batteries and fired it up.   Reina happily practiced for longer than she was supposed to when she found the button that adds a rhythm to the songs.  She filled the house with sounds of Ode to Joy accompanied by a snazzy snare drum and high hat.  I think Beethoven would approve.

No comments: