Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

We had one of those weekends where I'm not sure we could've crammed one more thing into either day.  We held our annual garage sale on Saturday morning and made some money and cleaned out more stuff.  Saturday afternoon involved a long nap for most of us and yard work, although Glenn did the bulk of the heavy labor.  Saturday night we had an early Mother's Day celebration with some of the grandparents and then went off to sleep thinking about a busy Sunday.  
 
Still waiting on that pony.
However, Mother's Day started shortly before midnight by waking up to the sound of Reina crying, me offering Glenn $10 if he'll go check on her, Glenn yelling, "Honey, come in here!" from Reina's room and hearing that briefly terrifing noise of a 4-yr old gasping for air and then recognizing the barking seal stridor cough that is croup.  Since this wasn't our first croup rodeo (although it was the first one with our little cowgirl), I tried sitting with Reina outside and having her breath in the cooler air.  That only resulted in both of us shivering but it did calm her down.  At that point she told me, "Mommy, I think I should go to the doctor."  Not wanting to rely completely on the advice of a barking 4-yr old, Glenn and I debated for a few more minutes before deciding that I would take her to the ER.  Better safe then sorry.  I was also thinking hey, it's midnight, I'm up might as well go now instead of three hours from now.  The ER on a Saturday night is an interesting place.  Thankfully, the doctors don't mess around with respiratory issues and pretty quickly, Reina was in an exam room getting a breathing treatment and feeling much better.  While checking on us, one of the nurses asked Reina if she could bring her anything?  Reina answered, "I'd like a pony."  A little while later, we listened to every excruciating detail of a guy in the room next to us getting a catheter.  Reina said, "Mommy, why is that man saying AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH?"  He was also saying a lot more, but I'm happy she only heard the yelling. 

Reina and I rolled home at 3:30 a.m. with a clean-ish bill of health and slept until almost 11:00 the next morning.  I felt like I was in haze all day and Reina was just out of sorts.  Reina on steroids is like well... Reina on steroids.  When she woke up at 11:00, Glenn fixed her scrambled eggs and cereal for lunch.  However, that just threw her off and she couldn't understand why she wasn't eating lunch at 3:00 p.m.  She really could've cared less for my irritating reasoning and my insistence on pointing out that we slept through breakfast. 

The rest of the day was a blur of laundry, jogging with the dogs, and getting ready for a big work week.  Hopefully this is our one trip to the ER for 2013.  And hey - it wasn't beta hemolytic strep.  Whoo!! 



No comments: