Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fashion forward

I came home from my jog Saturday morning to find everybody playing outside while Glenn cleaned his truck.  As I came around the corner, Reina greeted me in all of her morning glory.  My first thought was "Mercy!" but instead of yelping, I just asked "Did you get dressed all by yourself this morning? What a big girl!"  She later added two hot pink sandals - on the wrong feet of course- to the ensemble and we ran a morning's worth of errands around town.  Yesterday she and I went for a walk with the dogs. I wore sweatpants and a tshirt. Reina wore a swimming suit (naturally), snowboots and an American flag stuck through the top of her suit.  I asked if she just wanted to carry the flag but she preferred wearing it.  Everybody gets to be patriotic in their own way, I guess.  While we were eating dinner last night, she said "Mom,  I have to tell you a story.  A long, long time ago, there was a ghel named Lucy. And Lucy liked to wear boys' shirts."  She tells me this parable with a wicked gleam in her eye.  That was all there was to the story, by the way. I expected slobby Lucy to be eaten by a dragon or something else cautionary, but that was it. 

I love Reina's independence and zany sense of style.   As long as all of the appropriate parts are covered up, we'll be good to go. 

No comments: