Monday, August 24, 2020

Day 162

 It's another Monday.  We had a busy weekend with projects, a visit to the in-laws, a trip to the farmers' market, canned some pickled beets, sweated in the 90 degree weather and brought home three new chickens.  It's a good night for a blog post - list style. 

1.  Glenn woke up Sunday morning and announced, "we are getting three new chickens today."  Okay then.  We stopped at the poultry swap and picked out three pullets, a leghorn, an easter egger and some blend that I can't remember.  Two are mostly white so Reina named them Snow and Oreo (has a few black feathers.)  The third chicken is white and red and Reina suggested "Ginger" but Will wanted the opportunity to name one.  Her name was "the chicken to be named later" for a day and a half and today Will decided on Solomen (with an E - I asked), named after his Madden 20 quarterback.  Naturally.   I could write paragraphs about how Glenn spent an hour building them their own enclosure so that they could be kept separated from our current chickens and then in about 5 minutes, they flew over the coop and explored the yard.... but I won't.  So far everyone is being chill except for Charlie who would really like to see what the new chickens taste like.  

2.  School starts one week from today!  I'm more excited about the forecast for next Monday which is currently predicted to be 67 degrees.  Please please please.  

3.  Reina got a haircut today, several inches off the length and shorter bangs.  It looks cute and fresh and a good start for the school year. 

4.  I read an article about a shortage of canning supplies this summer because more people are home doing crafts and making jams and jelly. I'm running a little short on lids so I did a quick google search and it looks like the article was right.  I have about 30 lids and twice as many jars right now but if all else fails, I'll just buy more jars that come with lids.  What a weird but also typically-2020 problem to run into.  Maybe I can trade some toilet paper or Clorox wipes for canning lids?  

5.  Wyoming has about 3600 COVID-19 cases tonight and 37 deaths.  

No comments: