Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Right now

I know I say it practically every week but these kiddos are growing up right before our eyes.  Kindergarten has already had a profound effect on Will and it's only been a month.  We've put the kibosh on some of the more bothersome language that he's brought home but I'm truly amazed at all of the things he's learning.  His preschool started him off on the right foot and now he's putting all of the concepts together.  He can recognize more sight words, knows that 2+2=4 and 1 more is 5.  He sings us his 'welcome to school' song and teaches us all of the hand movements.  The other night, I was reading a story to both Will and Reina and Will points at a word and says, "Those are the naughty brothers."  I said "Huh?" (Thinking - there's a cuss word in this Berenstein's Bears book?)  Will informs me that when you put T and H together, they are naughty because they make you stick your tongue out.   I've never thought about it - kindergarten!

Reina is such a force right now, I can't really describe her personality.  She has an opinion about EVERYTHING and she is not shy about expressing it.  Last week, out of the blue she told me that she thinks I should have another baby.  Tonight Glenn made something new for dinner. I took a bite and said (mistakenly), "Well, I don't hate it." Reina piped up matter-of-factly, "Well I hate it."  When I told her that we will always know how she feels about something, she replied with "I'm feeling sick."   She asks "Why" for everything.  She'll start conversations with "Can we talk about baby cats?" But she can't always pronounce the 'c' in cats, so it comes out as 'tats.'  You can imagine our reaction when she wants to talk about kitties. 

We had the following conversation:

Reina:  Mom, when's my birthday?
Me:  It's February 10.
Reina:  Why?
Me:  Well, that's the day that you decided to grace us with your presence.
Reina:  I always wants presents. 

She's a little dictator, but she's also sweet and affectionate and unexpectedly funny.  This weekend while grocery shopping, she was sitting in the car singing "Hakuna Matata" from The Lion King:  Her sweet little voice:  "It's our problem-free and lots of peas, hakuna matata!"   After I stopped giggling, I explained that the word is 'philosophy.'  Now she'll sing it the wrong way and catch my eye to see if I'll laugh.  I usually do. 

While walking around the Halloween section at Target tonight, I remembered the years that I had to avoid that area of the store because one or both of them were too scared of the jack-o-lanterns, witches and more.  It wasn't just Reina either.  I remember one year, a mute Will sitting in the cart with eyes as big as the moon.  As we headed to the checkout, he calmly informed me that he didn't want to go there again.  This year for Halloween he wants to be a 'skeleton ninja with blood coming out of my eyes.'  Last year he was a jaunty little pirate and this year he'll be some sort of gross hybrid of zombie and ninja.  Sob.  What happened to my little boy?  Reina wants to be a cat, naturally. 

Three and five.  So fun. 

No comments: