Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I can't think of a perky title to describe the blah-ness that was last week

So after I optimistically ended last week's update with "actual pictures and me not whining...." Reina was sick on Thursday and Friday, Will picked up the virus on Friday night through the rest of the weekend and even today I'm not sure any of us (except the hunter) are 100%.  But we are going to be healthy for trick-or-treating, darnit! 

So the kids and I were pretty much housebound fighting off this thing and Glenn was hunting in Idaho over the weekend. He left when I was feeling better mid-week, before it rained down on everybody else and he was a calm voice on the other end of the phone when I was at the end of my rope on Saturday. The kids and I did spend a little time at Will's school's Halloween carnival. Will didn't get to go to his last football game on Saturday and he was a little disappointed by that.  We spent the weekend watching Halloween movies and taking medicine.  We did leave for a little while to drive around and look at Halloween lights.  Hey - I was desperate to get out of the house.  Plus, we bought a new car last week, something I haven't blogged about yet.  It's a cute new Ford Escape with all sorts of fancy doodads inside.  And satellite radio. 

On Friday, the kids and I went to Will's school for a Halloween carnival. I had an inkling that Will wasn't feeling quite right but we forged ahead.  Looking back at this picture, you can see how droopy his sad eyes are.  Poor little feverish ninja. 


They had different activities (bean bag toss, fishing, mini-golf, cake-walk, etc.) in each room so we made the tour and won some prizes. 
A cute little black cat kept us on our toes and man does she want that to be her 'big-kid school.'  I've said this before but if she could get into kindergarten right now, she'd be there in a heartbeat.  So until Fall 2014, she'll have to make do with holiday carnivals and the ring toss. 
Back home, Will staked his claim on the couch and Reina 'helped' me with chores.  Here's what happens when a 3-yr old helps you sort laundry. I guess I should be happy that it wasn't mine. 
 On Saturday afternoon, I was trying to get Reina down for a nap while simultaneously watching "South Pacific."  I spent many an evening in high school watching old movies and musicals with my parents (I know, I know, that speaks volumes doesn't it?) so I know all of the words and can sing-along.  So Nellie is singing the praises of their delicious champagne and Reina turns to me with a shocked look on her face, "Why is that girl drinking shampoo?"  I'm still laughing about that one today. 

So when the movies were over and we were a little stir crazy, we turned our attention to the dogs.  It's not officially Halloween until the dogs are humiliated.  Ladies and gentleman, the bride and groom! 

The bride wore a fit-to-flare dress with Chantilly lace and intricate beading.  The groom wore... a perplexed expression.  Actually, the groom wore his kicky little tuxedo shirt the rest of the evening after I forgot to take it off.  Tootsie discarded her veil and skirt as soon as I said "okay, all done." 

Happy Halloween.

No comments: