Thursday, October 14, 2010

My conversation with Canyon

I'm taking an online writing class and one of our recent assignments was to practice writing dialogue. I decided to tackle something that's been weighing on my mind most of this year. I wanted to put it on this blog so that I'll have it to refer back to... when it's time to make a tough decision.

Dialogue with my 15-yr old dog

Me: Good morning ol’ girl. How are you today?

Canyon: I need to pee.

Me: Let’s go outside, it’s a pretty day!

Canyon: I’d prefer to just go right here on the floor but since you’re standing here looking at me expectantly, I guess I’ll go outside.

(Later)

Me: Here, let me help you up these stairs. I know you’ve been having trouble with them lately.

Canyon: Stairs suck. But I hate being carried. It’s embarrassing.

Me: Oh Canyon girl. I don’t know if I’m doing the right thing. I can’t decide if it’s time to let you go. I wish you could tell me what you want.

Canyon: I’m hungry for ham.

Me: Everyone says I’ll know when it’s the right time but I don’t know if that’s true. You’ve been my dog since you were 5 weeks old and I hate to think that you can’t hear and I know you can’t see very well and I worry that maybe you think I’ve stopped talking to you. I know I don’t spend as much time with you as I should but the two kids keep me so busy.

Canyon: I’m not a big fan of the kids. I like the husband though.

Me: I just wish I knew what to do. You hate the vet SO BADLY and I can’t imagine having to take you there for one last time. You are so smart, you know that building and you get all slinky when we pull into that parking lot.

Canyon: I think you worry too much.

Me: A long time ago, I asked you to stay alive until I had kids. You were like my kid and I couldn’t imagine life without you. You’ve held up your end of the bargain but I don’t know if I’m holding up mine.

Canyon: I was never your kid. We were roommates.

Me: I’ve had you my whole adult life and I guess I can’t imagine a world without you in it. Am I being selfish? Do you want to move on to the next step? You can’t jog with me anymore and the rabbits in our front yard are getting fat because nobody chases them.

Canyon: You’ll know what to do. I’ve always trusted you to take care of me. I’m alright for now. But I could use another piece of ham and if you can keep that blond haired kid out of my water bowl, I would really appreciate it.

No comments: