Thursday, October 7, 2010

Leavin' on a jet plane

I’m typing this from an airplane high above the Midwest. The airplane wi-fi keeps flickering in and out so I don’t know how much of this will get posted. I’ve left both Bronco Babies and their dad behind in Wyoming so that I can have a girls weekend with their Aunt Vicky and my Aunt Mary. I’m looking forward to it. It still hard to leave the kiddos but I know they are in good hands. We’ve had A LOT of quality time together lately so I think they’ll enjoy having their dad to themselves for a little while.

Everything has been so hectic that I haven’t had time for a proper update so I’m trying to steal a few minutes to jot down everything that’s been going on lately. Totally unrelated, but in an ironic twist of fate, my seatmates are a rambunctious 4-yr old and her little 15-month old sister. While it’s making me miss the kids, it’s also making me glad that I’m not flying with either one of them right now.

Back at home, Will and Reina are both getting over colds. Glenn took Will to the doctor earlier in the week because his pesky cough was getting any better. The doctor remarked that Will has pretty large tonsils so he’s recommended that Will gets tested for sleep apnea. When I first heard that, I had visions of us trying to get Will to sleep in a clinic while being strapped to all sorts of sensors and wires. Hmmm, the boy who insists that his pajamas be removed when there’s one drop of water on them… yeah, that’s really going to happen. It turns out that we just have to keep a small oxygen monitor on his finger for a couple of nights. Phew.

I made the mistake of googling “pediatric sleep apnea” and found all sorts of (un)helpful information. The daytime symptoms of pediatric sleep apnea are inability to concentrate, mood swings, temper tantrums and grumpiness. So every three-year old I know must have sleep apnea, right?

Speaking of sleep, Miss Reina is going through a delightful phase of not wanting to sleep by her lonesome. She’s been battling a cold, so I think that’s partially to blame. Last night, she finally stayed put all night and it was nice for all involved. Her vocabulary continues to increase. This week she’s been pointing to her nose and saying “nose, nose, nose, nose, nose, nose…” until someone notices. She can name all of her main facial features. I think she’s going to be a dermatologist. She’s also learning the art of “no” and “MINE!” While she hasn’t said “no” yet, she can shake her head as fiercely as anyone I know. She’s also throwing out the occasional “MINE” when someone (Will) takes something deemed especially valuable.

I’m going to miss my little monsters.

No comments: