Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mom and Reina's day of fun!*

*Okay, not really day-of-fun, more day of trying to fight off the bug that both kids gave me while also trying to get Reina to take it easy so that she could fully recover the from the bug that she was in the process of giving me and also do some laundry and catch up on work email.


As I predicted on Sunday, Will and Reina stayed home from school on Monday because they both had fevers and general ickiness. I can't get them to share a single toy ... but germs? viruses? No problem! By Tuesday morning, Will was fine (despite his protestations that "I'm sick too!") but Reina still had a fever and needed another day at home. I decided to take Will back to school so that I could (hopefully) rest and fight off the virus that they both so generously shared with me. Whenever I opt to take one or both to school so that I can stay home by myself, I always feel loads and loads of mommy guilt because THEY SHOULD BE WITH ME but I reasoned that it was better for Will to be at school so that mommy could feel better and not succumb to the evil virus that manifests itself in tiredness/crankiness/short-temperedness.

Wow. This is the blog post of run-on sentences.


So back at the house, Reina and I tried to get to feeling better and I have to say that it's now become one of my favorite memories from this summer. It's been a few months since Reina and I had some time to ourselves. She loved playing with all of the toys that she normally as to share and I think she probably liked having me all to herself, too. At one point in the morning, she was acting sleepy (actually, she climbed up the stairs into the living room and curled up on one of the clean pee pads we use for Canyon's middle-of-the-night potty adventures. Grandparents, I stress that it was a CLEAN pad, no dog urine present) so I brought her back downstairs in the hopes of getting her to doze off on the sofa with me. I made the mistake of turning the station to the Animal Planet that was featuring a show on cats. For the next half hour or so, my attempts at napping were interrupted by the shrieks of KIT-TY, AHHHHH, DAT DAT DAT followed by lots of pointing, gesturing, hands clasped on side of face and general enthusiasm for all things feline. We are obviously going to end up owning a cat sometime in the future. As soon as this kid is old enough to clearly enunciate her preferences, all we are going to hear is "I WANT A CAT."


The rest of the day was pretty nice too. Reina is learning how to play with toys and she kept bringing me glasses of tea to drink and food to pretend to eat and then spit out. she become really interested in my bare feet and examined my toes for a long time. As I sat there imagining Dr. Reina the podiatrist, she grabbed my big toe and tried to stuff it in her mouth. Yup, she's still a baby.

No comments: