Sunday, August 8, 2010

Garage sales, petting zoos, demolition derbies and Water World!

What a weekend! After hosting our second garage sale of the season (and Will didn't pee on the driveway - yahoo!), the kids and I headed down to Brighton for the weekend so that Glenn could get a lot of work in without worrying about helping out at home. The Larimer (CO.) County Fair was this weekend so my parents and I took the kids there Saturday evening. There were lots of activities for everyone. Right off the bat, we saw a firetruck and Firefighter Will was in his element. He used to be content to sit in the seats but now he has to look for all of the different equipment and point out the extinguishers, hoses, alarms, etc. Is there such thing as a firefighter savant? The Fair had a petting zoo so we had to take Reina there. She was a little more cautious around the animals than I thought she would be but she was definitely interested! She didn't want to just pat the animals, she had to squat down and peer in the faces. She's the Sheep Whisperer! There was an antique tractor display and the kids could have a ride on? in? a barrel being pulled by the tractor. The adrenaline junky Will loves anything with a motor so he happily took a lap around the fairgrounds. We ended the evening with a demolition derby. Yeah, I don't really know what to add to that. If you've never seen a demolition derby, it's at least worth the price of admission. To sum it up in words from Will, "I want to see cars crashing each other." Will was really excited about having a "sleepover" at Grandpa's house. I was less excited because I knew it would result in the picture below. Co-sleeping with Will and Reina is not exactly restful. BUT, we hit the ground running on Sunday morning and headed to.... WATER WORLD! Or as I'll be encouraging them to change their name to WILL'S WORLD! This is pretty much the only decent picture I have of Will at Water World because he spent the rest of the time running around, splashing and water-sliding. All with a huge grin plastered to his face. When we first arrived, we found a pool area for kids his age and he was practically apoplectic. He would stand at the top of the water slide and make all these robot gestures before flinging himself down the slide. We had to forcibly remove him to get him to eat or take a break. Removals which always resulted in giant meltdowns. Let's just say that he's a big fan of Water World. Reina, on the other hand, was a little less impressed with the aquatic activities. She submerged herself within a few minutes of arriving there and from that point on, she was happy to splash around in very small depths but she was also happy to sit on the towel in the sun. I made Reina go with me down a small water slide and she did not like it one bit. Later I was splashing with her in the water and I asked her if she wanted to go down the slide with me again. She immediately turned and reached up for her Pop-pop. Message received, Reina.
Will and Reina fell asleep before I barely drove out of the Water World parking lot and went to bed at almost record-breaking early times tonight so I will take advantage of it and go to bed myself. One last note, however, for posterity I feel the need to preserve these examples of Glenn's amazing sidewalk art. It's Woody and Buzz! Greeting everyone on our front steps!

No comments: