Tuesday, March 19, 2019

A letter to the birthday boy

Dear Will:  Today you are TWELVE.  Officially a tween, not yet a teen and growing before our eyes.  You told me tonight that this was one of your best birthdays and that made me and your Dad really happy.  You woke us up around 6:15 this morning to open presents.  We surprised you with a fancy new controller for your X-box, some clothes and socks (!!!) and a cookbook just for teens.  Reina picked out a Fortnite pinata for you and when you were done opening everything, Dad gave you your first hunting rifle.  I think your Dad is just as excited to have you hunt with him as he's been for any of his solo hunts.  You and I had lunch at school together and then at the end of the day, I brought donuts to your class.  All 40+ kids in both sixth grade classes serenaded you with "Happy Birthday" and I believe it was the long 90 seconds of your year.  

Opening presents in the wee hours of the morning.  
Will, we are really proud of the young man you are becoming. I know that sounds like something super old to say, but it's really true.  You have a marvelous sense of humor, you are super sweet to your cousins, you and your sister have days when you really have fun together, you are a terrific teammate, you hustle on the field and the court, you are paying more attention to your schoolwork and take pride in your good grades and you love beating us in card game.  In case I'm making you sound too angelic, you love a good prank, you are crazy competitive in video games and many card games end in someone (you?) screaming and you grumble when you have to feed the dogs even though you love your Tootsie girl and she loves you too.  You are getting more interested in cooking and you'll see videos of people cooking on Youtube and you try it out at home.  The ramen dish topped off with american cheese was a big hit with you and Reina.  I thought it sounded a little bizarre but I applaud your creativity! 

A boy and his dogs and the sunlight streaming in.

Don't forget the cat.  I did tell her to smile for the camera. 
 You are gearing up for Junior High.  Every moment of sixth grade feels like "the last..." Today was the last day I'll bring you lunch at school for your birthday.  Well actually I'll probably bring it next year but I don't think I'll be invited to stay.  We've had your last elementary school basketball game and soon we'll have the last track meet, school program and sob sob sob. 
You picked Taco Johns for your meal and I only forgot the queso sauce.  We ate in the hallway because you said the cafeteria was full. I think the other sixth graders just aren't ready for my awesomeness.  
You thought the previous picture was too cheesy and you prefer this broody teen look.  You sure are cute.  
You asked to postpone your birthday dinner until the weekend so that Reina can join us - she had dance tonight.  You asked for homemade spaghetti tonight and we celebrated with a homemade chocolate cake with oreos in the frosting - that you had requested earlier in the week.  You actually wanted a giant oreo cake but I didn't have that creativity in me just yet.  Maybe next year? As we ate cake, we watched the videos that your dad took 12 years ago in the days leading up to your arrival and our time with you at the hospital.  In the video, you hollered when Dad and the nurses gave you a bath and when you are storming around the house now, I can see flickers of that squealing little almost 8-pounder from 2007. It brought tears to our eyes to see your cute little face and big blue eyes.  It's hard to believe that little guy is almost as tall as me and can almost beat me in a game of Horse.  Almost. 

Happy birthday big kid.  I hope 2019 is filled with winning sports teams, good books and some terrific adventures. 

No comments: