Sunday, December 23, 2012

Will's Christmas Program

I have a lot of catching up to do.  Reina generously shared her weird virus with Will last Sunday and so he was home for a few days last week.  I may or may not have had a mild version of it but I was too busy at work to do anything but pop a few ibuprofen every couple of hours.  So far, Glenn seems fine.  That along with everything else that happens in a holiday-shortened month, has made for a pretty few crazy weeks.  So let's get caught up on Will's program first. 

The theme of the kindergarten program was "Christmas Cookies" and they sang several songs set to familiar tunes but with completely different lyrics.  They also looked adorable in their little aprons and chef's hats.  Note:  Will insisted that no one else was dressing up theretofore he was not dressing up.  I emailed his teacher after I arrived at work to make sure that Will would not be the only kid NOT wearing a bowtie or holiday dress.  I had a spare set of 'church clothes' in the car in case I, I mean, Will needed them.  He's the third one from the right, or the only one on-stage who's character tshirt is still visible beneath his apron.

At his parent-teacher conference in October, we learned that Will didn't get the highest mark in Music.  We chalked it up to a typical kindergarten (male) response to being forced to stand and sing for any extended period of time.  But we found out at the program that if Will likes the song and knows the words, well he's all in folks.  Head bobbing, swaying, rhythm machine. 
Rockin' out on the circle drum.  This was set to "Jingle Bells'.... "Circle drum, circle drum, we can play the circle drum...."  Yep, still have that little ditty stuck in my head. 
So, remember a few sentences ago when I said that if Will likes the song and knows the words, etc. etc.?  This is what happens when he doesn't/like know the song.  He decides to use this time to clean out both of his ears.  At the same time.  He's making eye contact with me but ignoring my frantic 'pull-our-fingers-out-of-your-ears' hand gestures.
 Oh wait!  We are back in again because it involves throwing scarves/napkins(?!) high in the air and catching them.  I'm not sure what song this was, but apparently Will doesn't either. 
The grand finale involved turning your back to the audience, shaking stuff and then turning around again.  The kid has some moves. 
The program was adorable even though they didn't sing one song that I already knew.  They are all so blissfully un-self conscious and participate with gusto.  I'm not sure the 9-yr old Will's going to willingly clamor up onto the stage but who knows, maybe I'm wrong.  In the meantime, I'll make a point to enjoy every little bit of showbiz that comes my way. 

No comments: