Thursday, May 3, 2012

Very smart and a "little wiggly"

Another week gone by and at least five good intentions to post more but life keeps getting in the way of my writing.  I had to travel overnight for work last week and even though it was just one night, it takes me a while to get caught up.  (Although a night to myself in a hotel is fun, I'll admit it.  TV all to myself, time to read, maybe a visit to the exercise room.  But I'm glad I don't have to travel every week.)   Anyway, back to the week.  Reina's ear infection STILL hasn't gone away.  She's on her third antibiotic and we are keeping fingers crossed that this one finally knocks it out because it's no fun for her and definitely a little hard on all of us.  Yesterday, she was feverish and droopy and just wanted to sit on my lap all day.  Today, Glenn stayed home with her in the morning and ran a few errands with her in tow.  They dropped Will's bike off at the local bike shop and Reina found a $40 bike helmet that she planned on wearing home.  When Glenn told her she had to leave it at the store, she cried and told him that he was breaking her heart.  So yes, we are hoping this antibiotic works it's magic. 

I have so much to write about that this is will probably end up taking me a few nights (and it has, I started this on Tuesday, now it's Thursday).  My Aunt Vicki visited us over the weekend from Virginia and we had a great time.  (We had several ideas of how to help the kids differentiate between the Aunt Vicki/Vicky's and all of our ideas like Old Vicki/Young Vicki, Big Vicki/Little Vicky, etc. were met with mixed responses....) We all helped Matt and Vicky move into a new house that is so cute and charming and I have to stop myself from driving over every day to see all of the progress they have made on unpacking, decorating, etc.  

So anyway.  The point of this post?  Last week, I took Will to kindergarten screening. We are still waiting to hear if he'll be going to our neighborhood school, but in the meantime, he had the screening to make sure that he's ready to go next year.  He is so ready.  He passed the tests with flying colors.  The only points he missed were because he couldn't hop on one foot for more than 2 times in a row (he clearly has my balance) and he wouldn't get serious about the alphabet.  We know that he knows most of the letters but for some reason, he doesn't like to demonstrate that to his preschool teachers or the kindergarten screening teacher.  In talking with the teacher afterwards she said she can tell that he's very smart and she thought it was pulling her leg by saying he didn't know the alphabet.  On the sheet that we got to take home, her only note was "he's a little wiggly."  I think that can sum up his childhood so far.  Smart and wiggly. 

Side note, I discovered why 3-yr old's don't get to go to kindergarten yet. I made the mistake of bringing Reina with us to the screening and she was made that she couldn't go back with Will for the testing. She kept walking by the door of the room that he was in and shouting "Hi Bobo!"  She was not satisfied to sit with me in the hallway. 

We also had Will's parent teacher conference with the preschool teachers this week. At last year's meeting  felt like he treated preschool like it was a cruise ship with one fun activity after another and a big gang of friends to play shuffleboard with.  This year, it sounds like he views it as a frat house.  Granted, I haven't spent a large amount of time in frat houses but I would imagine that it's similar to Will's preschool experience, minus all the beer of course.  His teachers said that the only thing Will gets 'in trouble' for is too much socializing.  Whether he's talking with the person sitting next to him during quiet time or sneaking pencils into nap and then breaking them up and stuffing them in his shoes with a bunch of other little boys (true story), Will has a good time wherever he goes.

So to sum up.  Will's ready for kindergarten.  Reina wants to go, too.  Mommy wants time to slow down, except for the time that heals Reina's current ear infection.  That can hurry along. 

No comments: