Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Spiders, butterflies and other things that make me go ewwww

We had a nice holiday weekend!  On Saturday, we headed down to Denver and checked out the Butterfly Pavilion. 
Two rare, elusive butterflies who refuse to look at the camera at the same time. Or at all. 
Besides butterflies, the Pavilion had a whole host of other creepy, crawly creatures.  While we were waiting for the grandparents to arrive, we spent some time in the bug room. That's not it's official title but it works for me.  Lots of stuff in cages, besides this big hairy tarantula here.  Will got a sticker for holding Rosie the Tarantula.  Reina did not get a sticker because no amount of money, ponies or ice cream would've convinced her to hold that thing in her hand.  She was adamant, "I do not like that spider.  I don't want to touch it."  
Will the Spider Tamer.  I put on a brave face but there was no way I was touching it either. 
After looking at spiders and starfish and other invertebrates, we headed into the butterfly pavilion.  Fighting the urge to slap everything away from my face, I managed to take a few pictures of cute siblings. 
In about 3.5 seconds, Reina's going to try to touch the butterfly, even though I'm standing right behind her saying, "Just look at the pretty butterfly, don't touch it!"
We saw lots and lots of pretty flowers.  Try as I might, I don't think I could grow this one in my garden at home. 

Turtles!  Now this I like. 
We also tried to get a picture for the Christmas card (planning ahead!) but then a butterfly landed on Pop-pop's hat and 3 out of the 4 Pauleys were distracted.  Which is fine because before the butterfly landed on Pop-pop's hat, 2 of the 4 Pauleys were crying about having their picture taken. 
Why walk when you can ride?  You can see so many cooler things from Pop-pop's vantage point. 
Finally, after the butterfly tour, we headed back inside so Will could give Pop-pop and Grandma a tour of the bug room.  Will even exerted some 5-yr old peer pressure and talked Pop-pop into holding Rosie.  Pop-pop got a sticker too! 

No comments: