Monday, May 21, 2012

Independence

A tale of two kids....

On Friday, Reina and I went on a field trip to the Martinez Farm in Fort Collins. I've chronicled the joy that is The Farm before.  It's a favorite place of both kids and I enjoy seeing them look at all of the animals, plus it's a pretty little oasis, a time machine of sorts.  Anyway, I'll post some pictures of Reina shortly but after the field trip, she and I went to Whole Foods for lunch.  She talked all through lunch about a variety of topics.  She's in that lovely stage where everything is a "Why?" or "What's a _____(name of thing you just mentioned)?"  etc. etc. etc.  While not interrogating me, she regaled me (and the people sitting around us) with a monologue about her adventures on the farm.  "I saw a goat and some chickens and a tat (cat) and a baby tow and I gave a pony some pats and the pigs were being naughty and ..."  After a long, leisurely lunch, I packed up our trash and cleared our table and headed to the trash bins.  Reina marches to the door, pushes it open and announces that she'll meet me at the car. 

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.  Like I just let 3-yr old's cross busy parking lots all by themselves.  I'm not sure I've even ever let her meet me at the car anywhere.... maybe coming out of the house into the garage?  I said "No, you won't meet me at the car.  Wait for me right there."  Her response was a harrumph, followed by an aggressive arm folding but she stayed put.   She started with the "You NEVER let me...." Clearly.  Yes.  I never let you maneuver two lanes of traffic by yourself.  You are right. 


Reina and her best friend Dylan.  They had fun trooping around the farm.  At one point, Reina shrieked, "Dylan, hold my hand!"  Apparently, he likes his girls a little bossy. 
Reina and the nicest pony I've ever met.  I've rarely met a friendly pony so I was cautioning Reina to be careful but this little guy was very patient and sweet.  Granted, he probably wanted the grain in her bag but there were too many signs begging us to NOT FEED THE PONIES and we obeyed. 

Reina wasn't afraid of any of the animals, even the ones she should have been (baby turkeys I'm looking at you).  She fed the goats, the sheep and one adorable calf that I almost snuck into the back of my car until I remembered that they grow up into cows. 
******************
Tonight Will accompanied me on my walk with Trigger and when we weren't singing "the ants go marching two by two" or talking about Ninja Legos or what he might do at Pirate Camp in a few weeks, we talked about graduation.  We had passed a house that had a flag on it that showed a picture of a dachshund in a  cap and gown.  Yeah, I don't know why either.  Anyway, back to my story.  Will asked what 'graduation' meant and I explained that when you are done with high school, you graduate and you get to go to college.  He thought about it for a minute and then told me that he didn't want to go to college. Well, maybe he'd go but he wanted me to go with him for a while.  I'm writing these words down now to remind him during the summer of let's see, 2025 (?) that HE WANTS HIS MOM TO GO TO COLLEGE WITH HIM FOR A WHILE.  Maybe I'll work on a PhD or get another bachelor's degree or something. I can't wait. 

For the record, I did tell him that when he's graduating in 13 years, I'll bet that he'll be very excited to go to college without his parents but we can wait and see how he feels when it gets a little closer.

No comments: