Saturday, July 3, 2010

Events that (could) precede a trip to the ER

I was going to title this post "Would someone just buy this kid a swingset already!" but I don't want anyone to so I won't. Last night, Glenn and I were cooking dinner and Will was outside in the backyard playing quietly. A little too quietly as it turned out. I peeked my head around the corner to see him perched on top of our compost bin with a big smile on his face. I asked him how he was going to get down and he thought about it for a minute and then yelled, "Daddy! I need help getting down!" We didn't know whether to scold him or praise his ingenuity so did neither and asked him to show us how he got up there. He found these wooden slats somewhere in the recesses of our backyard, propped them up against the compost bin and then shimmied up there like a little monkey. Keep in the mind, the slats were flimsy and wobbly, the ground is coated with pea gravel and let's face it, he's Will. He's been known to fall out of bed while awake and reading a book. He has equal parts ingenuity, creativity and foolhardiness. If we make it to his 5th birthday without a broken bone, well, I'll buy everyone a swing set. Tonight after dinner, we took a walk around the neighbor and brought this blue-eyed blonde along for the ride. She needs another haircut already! Instead of taking the double stroller, we brought Will's tricycle up from the basement and he rode along as we walked. We tied a rope to his bike so that we could help him when his legs tired out. For a while he pretended he was riding a horse and would shout out a hardy "yeehaw" at varying intervals. Then he decided that we were all part of the Toy Story gang. He was Woody, I was Buzz, Reina was Slinky the Dog, Canyon was Rex and Glenn was Jessie. The Cowgirl. Yeehaw.

We made it back to the house and Glenn decided that he needed to demonstrate which side of the family Will's foolhardiness comes from. Exhibit A: Zooming around our driveway (that slants downhill) at speeds too fast for toddler or 40-something riding a small metal tricycle. Let's switch drivers! That looks like a good idea! Exhibit B: Not dangerous enough for ya? Let's throw in a 16-month old and have her ride on her brother's shoulders! Why am I still taking pictures?!Insert circus music here. Alright, adrenaline rush over. Time for a nice, mellow bike ride. As soon as her feet can reach the pedals.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Andrew has the exact same trike, I love that it is just like the trike I had as a little girl!