Sunday, February 25, 2018

A peek into Third Grade

Every week, Reina writes a letter in her school journal and brings it home.  We are supposed to write her a response that she can read later in the week.  By "we" I usually mean "me" but since Glenn is upstairs having a nerf gun fight with the monsters while I sit here by the fire with a warm blanket and all three pets, that's a trade-off that I'll take.  For posterity, here are a few letters that Reina has written us this year.

10-13-17
Dear Mom/Dad,

I've been waiting for Friday Wohoo.  For reading, I learned to look for the author's purpose.  And also find evidence in your story to prove your thinking.  For math we solved SUB equations and counting up strategies.  For writing we graded our work and write with a goal in your mind.  For science we made a paper bridge and put pennies on it and learned pillars and arches are the best.  For word work we learned adle mean's can be bone. (Mom note - I don't know what that means.) And homophones like meat and meet.  So can't wait to hear your letter.  Love, Reina.  Cat drawing.  (Mom note - naturally)

12-1-17
Dear Mom,

Today in science we found out that gravity pulls downward and friction stops you.  In reading we revise our thinking that is wrong and we read non-fiction texts.  For math we did some division and did a bar model.  For writing we did nonfiction texts that we wrote and researches.  Well and the goal I wrote was to add more detail and to practice periods.  Your right I would be a good detective and I am an expert on CAT's (wink wink).  😊
In music we did a dance like a irish dance in gym we did gymnastics cool.  How is Coco, did she rip our elf's arm off? I don't think she did well happy Friday wo-hooooooooooooo.
Love, Reina.  Cat drawing (again)

2-23-17
Dear Mom,

You are right it was fun for you when I was sick.  Well off to math.  For math we learned how to divide by ones and zeros.  And the A also B rule.

For writing we revised our opinion writing or you could say we typed our mistakes.

For science we learned that fossils teach us about animal behavior.  For reading mood or tone of poetry and the rhyme scheme (the pattern) and we also did haikus = 5 syllables/7/5.  Whoa. 

That was a lot oh yeah.  HAPPY Friday I was about to write Happy Birthday.

Love, Reina (sleeping cat picture)

No comments: