Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Prima

WARNING:  This blog post may contain a certain amount of gushiness because I'm just in one of those moods. 
 
Reina has been taking a pre-dance class from a local studio since January.  As you might remember, I finally relented on a Saturday in December when she marched off of the indoor soccer field and announced that someone had punched in the arm.  She hadn't actually been punched, she just happened to be in the same vicinity as the ball and was jostled by other kids who were going for the ball (she was not).  I thought, "why am I making her play soccer when she's been bugging me for months to take a dance class?"  So we signed up and we've been faithfully attending every Wednesday night since then.  The class is pretty great.  The teachers manage to keep twelve (give or take) 4 and 5-yr olds moving in one direction.  They keep it organized but not militaristic and Reina bounces around the house practicing her moves.  Last Friday night, it all came together for one giant recital.   
Guess who came to the ballet recital?  Baby cousin and a hiding Aunt Vicky.  Both sets of grandparents were in attendance, too.  The Reina Pauley fan club. 
Baby Cousin was fascinated with the glitter and glam of Reina's costume.  She was all business as she tried in vain to get the blue taffeta/sequined/tulle-d concoction it in her mouth. 
Probably my favorite picture of my favorite ballerina.  Pop-pop is the official photographer of this page of the blog.  Isn't that a great picture? 
 
Reina's class was the second dance of the night and they brought the house down with pure cuteness.  Her class had one little boy dancer in it and as part of the routine, he went down the line of girls and 'lifted' them all up while they jumped.  It was delightful. I actually cried through the whole routine because I'm my mom's daughter and happy or sad, we cry. Reina was so cute and so brave on that big stage. 
 

Watch out Blog, I've figured out how to write on the pictures.    
We stayed for the first half of the program and saw dances of all different kinds, modern, tap, ballet and Irish step dancing.  The Irish group danced a long number to the theme music from Pirates of the Caribbean.  Will, who'd been watching with more interest than I thought he'd have, sat straight up and was hooked.  The dancers even had swords and the look on his face was priceless.  When the song was over, he turned to me and whispered, "I might want to do that sometime."  Stay tuned..... 
 
My sweet ballerina and the flowers from her daddy.  What a special night. 

No comments: