Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day and other musings

I'll get to Mother's Day shortly, but a few things to capture about May.  We've had weird weather - rain, snow, sunshine, wind - sometimes all in one Day.  Work has been very busy for Glenn and slightly busy for me.  The school year is winding down for Will, which means book reports, field trips and class parties.  Reina is entering her last summer at Montessori, a thought that makes me momentarily teary-eyed.  We have a great summer ahead of us, if it ever arrives. We already have a few little vacations planned, we've signed up for some races and we have lots and lots of baseball to watch.
I was washing dishes and looked out to see Tootsie perched on the edge of the deck.  She usually keeps watch from the top of the picnic table but there must've been something super interesting to spy on and hence the balancing act. She's a unique little dog and I'm glad she's part of our family. 
On Friday, I took the day off to hang out with Baby Cousin.  I had such a nice time.  It's been a while since I've carried a baby on my hip while I do laundry and clean up the house.  Okay, I mostly just sat with her and made her giggle but we did get a few chores accomplished and she was very helpful. 

After school, big cousins got to spend time with baby cousins.  They both remain infatuated with her.  She likes them but also finds other things interesting - like monkeys. 
And Tootsie's....  but look at the expression on Reina's face.  After fussing about it and reminding us for months, she finally got to hold baby cousin.  She wanted to carry her around the house but I put the kibosh on that fun activity. 
Selfie time!   I love that little face. 
Will had his first baseball game of the season on Saturday.  It was chilly and there was a good wind coming from the west but nothing could deter him from wearing shortsleeves.  This is his first year playing baseball and what he lacks in experience, he makes up for in enthusiasm. He has a good coach and I think it will be a fun season for everyone involved.  Will's team won their game on Saturday and Will got a single.  I was overjoyed.  The teams play with a pitching machine and it's a little intimidating when the ball is coming at you at 55 mph. He's a trooper. 
I only had once chance to get this picture because someone was itching to get on the field.  We'll try for a smiling, eyes-wide-open shot next week. 
So it's Mother's Day.  May 11.  And we have just about a foot of snow on the ground.  True story. I've lived in Wyoming long enough to know that you'll often see a little snow in May.  A weird blizzard here, some skiffs of snow there.  But today we have a winter storm warning, interstates and roads in and out of town shut down and lots and lots of wet, white stuff. I'm a little unhinged.  We planted a bunch of different things in the community garden last week that will probably need to be replanted and my little chokecherries and lilac bushes are bent over under the weight of the snow. 

I know, I know.  Yeah for moisture!  Spring will be so green when it finally arrives. 

Reina wanted to build a snowman.  She lasted about 3 minutes.  Zipping up her jacket might've helped but what can you do.  That's waist high snow. I know she's not the tallest member of the family but that's a lot of snow. 
Despite the crazy weather, I've had a nice Mother's Day.  Will gave me a coupon book with coupons for "1 room cleaning with no complaining," "lunch at a restaurant of my choice," and "a day with no arguing."  I can't wait to use that one!  He also wrote that if he could buy me anything it would be a "nice hotel."  Now, I don't think he wants to get into the hospitality business, I think he's just heard me wish for a night of uninterrupted sleep all by myself a few times.  Reina drew me beautiful flowers and Glenn gave me a bird feeder and a few of his own coupons. 

I don't remember a time growing up when I didn't think I'd have children. Is that too many negatives in one sentence?  As I grew older,  I wasn't necessarily counting down the days until I could be a mom, but it was something that I figured would always happen.  Many of my summer jobs in high school and college involved kids - rec camp counselor, guest ranch kid wrangler... I even made a little bit of money in college babysitting at the Lutheran Church.  As my thirties approached and I was still single, I did have pangs of doubt but I also had Canyon and she was a great companion, plus I could leave her alone in the backyard for hours, which was something I understood was frowned upon with children.  Then I met Glenn and I just had a feeling that it would all work out.  Glenn and I took a trip to Florida after we'd been dating for a little over a year and I have a picture of us at St. Augustine.  The date on the picture is March 19, 2005.  I didn't know it at the time, but we'd be married before the year was out and on that exact date in two years, I'd become a mom.   Today, when I'm picking up the house and move that photo to get to the dust and junk behind it, I'm always reminded that for all of your planning, you just never know how things will turn out. 

In many ways, motherhood has surpassed my expectations.  For all of the sleepless nights, numerous times getting barfed on, arguments about clothes and room cleanings, and the fact that I NEVER get to use the bathroom without someone walking in with an emergency or a quick conversation about body parts, I'm just so thankful that I get to be the mom to Will and Reina.  I'm aware of how fast time seems to be moving - next year I'll have two kids in elementary school but I'm afraid if I blink, I'll be planning a high school graduation party.  So for now, I'm going to try to enjoy the little moments, even the barfing ones. 

No comments: