Sunday, March 2, 2014

Skiing

Last weekend, we finally took the monsters skiing.  I had planned to take Will last year on one of the random school holidays but the day that we picked ended up being super windy and cold and I wasn't excited about the drive to the mountains.  This year, we planned to go a few Fridays ago but then Reina had been sick all week and I didn't think she'd have enough energy.  So, I waited a few days to see if Will was going to come down with the bug and when he didn't, we booked our reservation.  Saturday morning was cold and snowy, but this is Wyoming so we hopped in the car.  Glenn doesn't ski but he came with us to help corral everyone.  I was so glad he was there! 
 
I signed both kids up for a morning lesson. I thought they could learn a few of the basics from someone they weren't related to and I could have a few hours to ski on my own.  I hadn't skiied in many years, at least since Will was born and probably even a few years before that. I felt a little wobbly at first but it's just like riding a bike, even if the bike rider is no longer a flexible early 30-something. 
 
In line for the rentals.  Both kids were pretty excited to wear helmets and Reina particularly liked her goggles.  The ski boots took a little getting used to but these two were troopers. 
All suited up and ready to go.  It was cold but these tough Wyomingites didn't let a little wind stop them.  Reina wasn't having a meltdown in this picture - just stretching or folding herself in half or something like that. 
Lunchtime!  Look at those rosy cheeks!  It's not a sunburn - it's a windburn! 



 
The kids' lessons wrapped up around lunchtime and we all met inside for a little while.  The wind was really howling at this point and I thought we'd probably have to head home soon.  The kids didn't ride the ski lift during their lesson so I asked Will if he wanted to try it once.  Well, Reina wanted to go to so I took her first and Glenn waited at the bottom with Will.  As Reina and I got off the lift and started to head downhill, she let out a loud and joyful "YEEEEEHAWWWWW" and we sailed down the bunny hill.  I took Will up the next time and when we came down, Reina wanted another turn.  So did Will. The lift only holds two riders at a time so I found a nice teenager to ride with Will and I took Reina up.  Will headed down the hill before I could even get off of the lift (who needs parents!) and even ended up riding the lift by himself one time (not sure my heart has still gotten over that one).  After a few more turns, Reina was officially cold so she went inside with Glenn for hot chocolate and Will and I took the lift up the big mountain for a few runs.  On our last trip down, Will and I had a wreck and while it was relatively minor, it was a good time to call it a day. 
After skiing - smiles from most everyone although everyone was in a good mood.  Reina had just had a glass of hot chocolate, french fries and a cookie while waiting with her dad.  Quite the negotiator, huh? 

Why can't we all smile at the same time?! 
The next day, one of us was very sore but we all had happy memories. I hope that we'll be able to go again before the snow melts.  With the way this winter is going, we may still be skiing in MAY so we'll probably have many opportunities.  In the meantime, we'll just keep finding new uses for our ski accessories. 

No comments: