Saturday, March 22, 2014

Seven: A letter to the birthday boy

Dear Will:  This week, you turned seven.  Seven!  You told Aunt Vicky that it's just nine more years until you can drive her car, but let's focus on seven for now. I took donuts to school on your actual birthday and you were the most popular kid in your class.  I think your pretty popular on a normal day, but the giant sugar bomb certainly helped.  You woke us up that morning at 5:45 with the announcement that you were ready for your birthday presents.  You waited (mostly) patiently while the rest of the house stirred and find our way downstairs.  You opened up a pile of presents from us and your grandparents. Aunt Vicky and Uncle Matt had taken you shopping the Sunday before and you picked out a retina-piercing green hat and matching shirt which you wore on St Patrick's Day.  It was definitely green! 
Will and Reina on St Patrick's Day.  The wearing o' the green was definitely in effect. 
Will, I know I write this every year, but you have grown up so much in the past year.  You still love your Legos and Star Wars, but you also watch more sports with me and plan on hunting with your dad this spring and fall.  I love that you love football and basketball, my only problem is that when our favorite team loses, I have to comfort a disappointed kiddo and fight the urge to stomp around the house in tears.   I promise that I'll never tell you, "It's only a game!" and I hope that we'll have more championships to watch in the near future.  
Will and his birthday shirt.  We'll buy the Super Bowl version next year! 
Will, you are one smart kid.  You don't always focus on the academic part of school, not when they are so many fun things going on, right?  But let's face it, you are figuring things out in that big brain of yours.  You spelled 'leprechaun' on the first try last week when we were working on your spelling words. I was so impressed that I sat down right away to email your teacher and I had to double check that I was spelling it correctly!  You remember spelling words and math facts and you argue with me over the correct way to do your homework.  While you'd prefer school to be a bigger mix of recess, PE and swordfighting, when you put your mind to something, there isn't anything you can't figure out. 
Will and our weekly trip to the library.  Today's selection including a Lego book, Star Wars encyclopedia, an easy reader version of one of the Narnia stories and the first Captain Underpants book.  We also placed a hold on a Minecraft book because that's the newest app on the Ipad.  Yeah, I still don't know what it is. 
Will, you told me this week that you don't ever want to leave Wyoming and want to always live near your family.  I won't hold you to that because I think you have many adventures waiting for you out there but it does show what a sweet kid you can be.  You help around the house (most of the time) and have your own chores.  You are kind to your sister (most of the time) and when the two of you are getting along, you can keep each other occupied for hours playing soldier/Star Wars/Ninja/queen/whatever.  You sit next to your baby cousin and patiently hold her hand until she gets bored and then you make her smile and giggle.  You are growing like a weed and I fear I'll blink and you'll be taller than me.  Keep on going, big kid, 2014 has a lot of fun in store for you.  Happy birthday Will! 

No comments: