Saturday, September 21, 2013

Random tidbits from September

Here's a collection of mostly goofy and one sweet conversation that I've been wanting to write down. 

First the sweet.  On September 10, I was driving the kids home from school and Will was telling Reina that the next day was a special day.  I asked him if something special was happening at school (thinking ice cream party, etc.,) and he said no.  He said "Well, 11 years ago something really sad happened and some bad guys crashed some planes into a building and a lot of people died."  I was surprised that he knew about 9-11 and came so close to even getting the year right.  Sometimes I dread having to talk about things like that with the kids, but we had a nice conversation about such a sad occasion.  

Okay, so here's the goofy stuff. 

Will brought home a Scholastic book order form and I told both kids they could each pick out three books to order.  Will's were predictably Legos, football and Pete the Cat.   Reina's were a bit more, how shall we say it, eclectic?  We had the regulars:  Barbie Princess Mariposa pink something something, Doc McStuffins saves the day, something involving Jake and Never Land Pirates, Hello Kitty, and then we started to veer off into other places like Bats! (actual title), some cartoon fly who goes into space (huh?), baby animals (naturally), baby animals at night, life size baby animals, another space book, back to Disney with Brave and the gang and then a giant alphabet puzzle to wrap it all up.  I giggled while I was looking through the book order but I realized that is really how her brain works right now.  She loves all of the 'typical girl stuff' and she's usually carrying a purse or a backpack full of pink fluffy things, but she also picks out books about mummies and Egypt when we are at the library and she wants to know about bones and stuff we find outside.  She's a complicated little ball of fire. 

Last week, Reina's class did a taste test with apples and everyone tried a piece and voted on which one they liked best.  While telling me this later that night, she says that she didn't like the green apple but she liked the Rice Krispie one.  Well, I would certainly like a ball of rice krispies shaped as an apple too. I thought maybe she was thinking of red delicious until I asked her teacher about it later in the week - Honey Crisp.  Bingo! 

Her favorite game right now is to sit at our computer and pretend that I'm the boss and she's the worker. I'm supposed to bark out commands like "Get back to work!"  "No more breaks!"  "Don't ask me any questions."  She calls me 'boss' and diligently types away.  It would be a great game except for her constantly bossing me around to be her boss.  "Mom, now you say ....."

Finally, last Sunday I was watching the Broncos game and Will walks in and announces that his new favorite team is the Raiders.  (The Broncos weren't even playing the Raiders that day or I would have kicked him out of the house.  Just kidding.  Sort of.)   The Hansen sense of humor is alive and well in that kid. 

No comments: