Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Remember when I was worried she wouldn't talk, part 5,436

Last Friday, Vicky, Reina and I had lunch with Pop-pop.  I had a meeting right afterwards so Pop-pop took Reina back to preschool for me.  As they were leaving Pop-pop's office, he saw his secretary and rolled down the window to let her know that he'd be back in a few minutes.  As they drove away, a little voice piped up from the backseat and the following conversation took place:

Reina:  Is that your ghel-friend Pop-pop?
Pop-pop: (momentarily speechless) No, that's somebody who works in my office.
Reina:  Well, who's your ghel-friend?
Pop-pop:  Grandma's my girlfriend.
Reina:  Oh. 

Pop-pop said they chatted for a few minutes about who has girlfriends and who has boyfriends.  Reina has a boyfriend, his name is David.  When he related the story to me later that afternoon, I laughed and laughed.  Reina is such a little chatterbox right now with an insatiable desire to ask questions, get answers and then ask more questions.  Sometimes it's the same topic over and over again.  A current favorite is still the 'what happened to Finkin Lincoln (known to the rest of us as Abraham Lincoln) and why did that bad guy shoot him.' I've probably mentioned it here before but try explaining the Civil War, slavery and emancipation to a 4-yr old. Whenever a song comes on the radio she immediately wants to know what it's about and why.  Tonight when I picked her up from school, she'd made a flip phone out of a bunch of folded paper and she immediately flipped it open, brought it up to her ear and started calling people.  "Hi, this is Lucy calling."  Tonight while Pop-pop and Will had a lightsaber battle, she sat on the stairs and shouted "Let the games begin!"  I think she needs to have her own Youtube channel.

No comments: