Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One year ago today

One year ago today at this time, Glenn was in the ICU, a very sick guy.  I was sitting in his room with my dad and sister and brother-in-law and trying to come to terms with what was happening.  I came home late and tried to get some sleep but I still remember that night so clearly.  I slept with my cell phone in my hand and kept jolting awake thinking it was ringing and it would be the ICU nurses calling and telling me to hurry back to the hospital.  Thankfully, that call never came and when I finally called them in the wee hours of the morning, it was to hear the good news that Glenn was no worse, maybe even stable.   These past few days and weekend, I've thought a lot about what happened and how very thankful I am to have a healthy Glenn by my side today. 

***************
It's Valentine's week around here so we've been busy decorating boxes for preschool and painstakingly writing classmates names on little cards for Kindergarten.  Will chose a box of Star Wars valentines for his class which featured four different illustrations (in case you are interested: Storm Troopers, Yoda, Anakin & Obi Wan and Darth Vader). As I was helping him spell each student's name, I noticed that he was carefully choosing the Darth Vader (the supreme bad guy) cards for each girl in his class.  I giggled at that and then asked why he was giving them all Darth Vader?  He nonchalantly replied because it had a pretty purple background and girls like purple.  Yes, they do but I'm also slightly convinced that he's sending a message.....  Speaking of messages, Will only talks about one girl in his class.  We'll call her A.  He's at that stage where girls are becoming cootie-filled or whatever kindergarten boys think these days.  He doesn't talk about playing with any girls at recess or anything like that, but occasionally A's name will come up in conversation. She's has long hair, I do know that.  So as we are writing his valentines, I asked him if he was going to write a note on A's card.  Something like "Dear A, I want to hold your hand.  Love, Will"  He giggled so I threw a few more suggestions out there, each one appropriately mushy and embarrassing.  He fired back, "Dear A:  Please come over to my house and throw eggs at my Mom."  The kid has a sense of humor and it appears to have a 'Hansen' written all over it.  The legacy continues. 

No comments: