Monday, April 16, 2012

My big kid and other April events

Another week gone by...  Last Tuesday I woke up at the crack of dawn (4:45 a.m.) to go stand in line and register Will for kindergarten.  Crazy, I know.  The school in our neighborhood is overcrowded so parents of incoming kindergartners line up EARLY to try to secure a spot. I arrived by 5:00 a.m. and I was 12th in line.  We won't find out officially until after May 4th, but I'm hopeful that he'll get spot. He seems to be getting more excited about the idea of going to a 'big kids' school.  The incoming kindergartners are invited to lunch at the big school in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to taking him there and looking around. 

I say this every week, but Will is just growing up so fast.  We had dinner with friends this weekend and they had a small Lego set that their girls' weren't interested in so they gave it to Will.  When we came home, he immediately opened up the box and following the instructions, put this little vehicle together all by himself.   I was very impressed. I'm thinking that I need to pull out the instructions from the Christmas castle and see if he can put that back together solo.  
Will and his Lego creation
I can't remember if I wrote this down already (and I'm too lazy to go and look back) but Glenn was cleared to start exercising a few weeks ago.  He was really looking forward to it and eased back into lifting weights and doing some cardio.  Well on Easter Sunday he decided to try and go jogging and this is the result:  leg stretches in the hallway to try to stretch out the back muscle that he pulled while jumping back into exercise.  I couldn't resist snapping this picture.  It was payback for me having to put his socks and shoes on him every day.  Luckily all of the weird stretches and REST are paying off and he's feeling better.  Just in time for turkey hunting! 
So speaking of things that really hurt, I ran another half marathon on Sunday in Denver.  Originally, the whole gang was going to go down with me and we were going to make a weekend out of it.  Unfortunately, the weather forecast wasn't looking great, so Glenn and the kiddos stayed home and I drove down and raced with some friends.  When I came back home, I found these two signs on the front door.  Glenn wrote down Will's inspiring comments-  "I hope you win!!  I want to cheer for you!!"  I'm pretty sure that's Glenn's fine drawing but Will did write his name.      

Reina's version:  "Congratulations!!  Watch cartoons and ride a horse!"  Yeah, apparently Reina's inspirational poster was more of a command or a wish-list for herself rather than motivational for other people, but I appreciated the sentiment.  As for me, I didn't break any landspeed records but just like all of the other times, I didn't break any bones either and I feel pretty happy with my accomplishment. 

1 comment:

Beth said...

Funny we were told the same thing about Anderson school. I went at 7am and I was the 3rd in line, not bad compared to what you had to do.