Thursday, November 17, 2011

November Stuff

We have all sorts of weird milestones happening at the Pauley household. Last night I overheard Reina's first (successful) attempt at tormenting her brother by repeating everything he was saying.

Will: I'm going to get a treat tonight.
Reina: I'M going to get a treat tonight.
Will: Stop saying everything I say.
Reina: Stop saying everything I say.
Will: I'm not playing with you.
Reina: I'm not playing with YOU.

And so it begins....

Brother and sister generally get along pretty well. Their big game lately is to play Lion King. Will plays the role of Mufasa (the daddy lion) and Simba (the boy lion) and Reina gets to be the mommy lion, of course. Trigger plays Scarf the bad lion. In the actual movie the bad guy's name is Scar but I can't bring myself to point that out to Will. Scarf is a much better villain's name, don't you think?

**********

Will is really interested in learning lately. He wants to count everything (number of Lego's to put back in the Lego bucket, how many bad guys are fighting Batman, pieces of antelope jerky he can eat for breakfast (I know, weird - but they both love it for breakfast). He'll willingly write his name on anything. Sometimes it comes out W-i-l-l, sometimes it's l-l-i-w depending on which side of the paper he starts on. He's very earnest about relaying the little details that he learns in school. "Mom! Did you know that the Indians lived in a tee.... what are those things called?" He gets very serious when he talks about that holiday that's coming up and I have to stifle a smile when he says "Mom! Did you know that it's going to be Fanksgiving next week? I fink it is!"

**********

Reina is so very two, still. She's talking up a storm but her personality is still very umm... mercurial? She's all smiling and hugs one minute and then screeching "NO! I'M MAD AT YOU!" the next. She loves to play kitchen and pretend that she's cooking up a feast of hot chocolate, 'sammitches' and tea. She wants to do every single thing that her brother does, and she wants to do it faster and better. How's that for a preview of coming attractions?

**********

Glenn and I celebrated our sixth wedding anniversary last weekend. By 'celebrating' I mean we went to a 5-yr old's birthday pool party and had a blast and then ate Japanese takeout in the kitchen with a couple of hungry kids hogging the tempura. This anniversary was the first time that the date fell on a Saturday since our wedding. All day I thought back to what I was doing in 2005 - getting my hair done, buying a bagel sandwich with my veil on, getting ready with all of my friends and relatives, seeing Glenn at the end of that long aisle. It was a happy day and I marveled to think of how much has changed and yet how much has stayed the same since then. We have a different house and dog and two crazy kids but we are still the same people who got married that windy day in November.

**********

At the pool party last weekend, both kids had a blast in the water. We had to drag them out kicking and screaming (literally) and Reina looked like a cast member from that last scene in "Titanic." Her lips were a lovely shade of blue. They both love the water and with the help of some floaty vest things, they splashed around and went down the water slide and had a great time. Will even jumped off of the diving board! I don't think I did that until I was 16! He balked on his first attempt and had to climb back down but after a pep talk and watching a few other kids have a go, he bravely climbed back up, walked to the end of the board, jammed both hands in his mouth and then jumped into the pool where Glenn was waiting to catch him. He ended up getting up there a few more times. I remain alternately amazed and terrified at his bravery. One thing's for certain, we are signing this kid up for swimming lessons next month.

No comments: