Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hailstorms, head injuries and other summer fun

Boy, if that title didn't get your attention, I should probably stop writing right now! But rest assured, the head injury ended up being less scary than it looked, but more on that later.

Last week, I traveled to Casper for a quick overnight trip. I pulled back into Cheyenne about 10 minutes after a pretty wicked hailstorm had whipped through town. I was driving a work car at the time, so my car was parked at the office. I pulled up to this sight: The hail turned my hood into a dented, pebbled mess and even cracked my windshield in a few places. It was discouraging to see what a few minutes of bad weather can do, but I have to be thankful that no one was seriously hurt. Cars and yards and roofs can be fixed. Our house and yard was untouched so we still have one nice vehicle in the family.

Glenn left for a long work trip on Wednesday and was gone through the weekend. The kids and I packed up the dented Mazda and vacationed at Pop-pop's house in Brighton. On Saturday we went to a new waterpark that was a big hit for kids and adults alike. It was a million degrees outside so I frankly would have been tickled with a garden house and a squirt gun. We slid and splashed and had a great time. On Sunday morning, the grandparents had tickets to the Rockies game so the kids and I headed off to the zoo. It was another scorcher so we didn't stay long but managed to see some animals and pose politely for a few pictures. (I love pictures like this one below - their little silhouttes are burned into my mind. I know they won't stay this (relatively) small forever, but I love to watch them hang out together. When they aren't screaming and slapping.)


So this week has been a whirlwind. Glenn didn't get back from his work trip until Wednesday and on the day before, the Omaha Pauleys arrived for a visit. We've been playing with cousins, hiking at Vedauwoo and having a great ol' time. Last night, Will got out of the bath and the exercise ball was inexplicably at the top of the stairs. Will leaned forward on the ball and proceeded to ride it down the short flight of stairs, landing face first on the living hardwood floor. There was blood and screaming and general chaos for several minutes. After administering a few icepacks, Glenn and I decided that the swollen nose and lip and general malaise was enough to warrant a quick trip to urgent care. Except, it was after 9:00 p.m. so we had to head to the ER. Long story short, the doctors thought he was alright, we avoided having to spend hours in observation and thousands on a CT scan and today he's a little droopy but none the worse for wear. Our house needs one of those signs you see outside of large factories..."It's been 1 day(s) since our last accident..errr trip to after hours medical care.

No comments: