Friday, November 5, 2010

A savant of sorts

Reina will probably excel at many things in her life. Maybe she'll be really good at math, or maybe she'll shoot a Boone and Crockett mule deer before her dad does. Maybe she'll get a scholarship to study nuclearphysicalmechanicalengineering science or something really fancy. But right now? She's really REALLY good at going potty. In the toilet. That's right, our little 20-month old loves to pee in the toilet like a big kid. She's been going at daycare for a few months and I chalked it up to peer pressure and much-more-patient-than-me childcare staff. However, lately at home, she'll point to her rear end and say "I go potty" so I'll take her upstairs and she does her thing. (How much is she going to love this post in 10-12 years, by the way? Sooooo much!) This weekend, she announced loudly and clearly in the middle of church "I GO POTTY!" so I whisked her off to the bathroom and lo and behold, she knew what to do, even though it was the big, scary church potty. I don't know many other kids her age who exhibit such a natural prowess for the toilet. Well, except maybe one, her Pop-pop. My dad claims that he was completely toilet-trained by his first birthday. Yes, you read that correctly. I'm skeptical too, but go ahead and ask him, he loves to talk about it.

1 comment:

Val said...

My grandparents claim that my mom was potty trained by 1 too....I can't decide if they are just getting old or if it is really true.

Very impressive Reina! And what a nice surprise for you guys.