Sunday, November 7, 2010

Remember when I was worried that she wouldn't talk?

Reina is so full of quippy one-liners lately that I can't even keep track of all of them. Her language keeps improving and now even a few people outside of Will, Glenn and I can understand her. Yesterday, she took a longer nap than usual and to wake her up, I brought her downstairs and turned on the horse race. All I had to say was "Look Reina, there are some horses" and her eyes popped open and for the next 27 minutes, all I heard was "horse, horse horse," insert kissing noises here, "horse, horse, horse," possible whinny-ing noise and repeat. If I had the audacity to switch channels, I'd hear "more horses! horses bye-bye? horse horse horse!" Someone buy this girl a pony already. Or a racehorse, either one will be fine.


It was All Saints Day at church and the handbell choir was in performance. When Reina heard the first handbell note, she immediately started waving her hands back and forth and yelling "bells! bells!" Unfortunately for everyone sitting in our immediate vicinity, the handbell choir does not play the entire service and for the rest of the hour, we had to listen to "I want more bells!" Of course in Reina-speak, it sounds more like "Iwanmobeh" but I think everyone knew what she was saying. It reminds me of the "more cowbell" skit from Saturday Night Live...

When I got her dressed one morning this week, I plopped the underpants on her head instead of putting them in their normal location. She did have leggings on so I wasn't being entirely weird. Well, she loved it and she squealed when I wouldn't let her wear it to school. Doesn't she look like she's getting ready to scrub in for surgery? I have about 50 pictures on my camera with the following pose. Reina's obsessed with seeing her picture and so you have to snap it quickly because she's usually racing towards the camera when she sees it in your hand. I love her curiosity (and slight narcissism?), even if it means I never get a decent picture.
Will and Reina are playing more and more together. Most of the time, he's pretty patient with her and he doesn't mind if she tags along. They definitely fight over the same toys but every once in a while, they can sit down in the same space for more than 30 seconds and hang out. I know this won't last forever so I have to get the pictures when I can.

One last note on language development, courtesy of Reina's big brother. When we driving home from school the other day, I was playing a game with Will and I said that I would be the boy and he could be the mommy. I said, "I don't want to eat dinner. Dinner's yucky!" Will's reply? "Okay, that's fine." That was his response when I said that I didn't want to take a bath, eat broccoli, or go to bed. So much for my feeble attempt at psychological torture, or ummm training.

2 comments:

Laura R. said...

Hahahahaha I love Will's response to you!
Kids are way too smart for their own good.

Lucy said...

Agreed! He's too smart for his own good and getting too smart for me - already! :)