Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tired feet but a happy heart

Has it really been a week since my last post? Bear with me, but this post is going to be light on Bronco Babies and heavy on the Bronco Babies' mom. Over the weekend, I participated in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer and had a really wonderful time. I have about 10 blisters on my feet and sore legs but I feel really good about my participation and contribution to such a good cause. I walked with more than 1200 people who raised $2.6 million for breast cancer research and programs and learned a lot along the way.

We walked 22 miles on Saturday and 13 miles on Sunday for a grand total of 35 miles. I can say that it really is one of the hardest physical feats I've ever attempted. Not quite harder than labor with Will but close. Here I am at mile 20 on Saturday. I'm still smiling but feeling a little delirious at this point, too. We saw a lot of beatiful scenery. The walk started in Keystone, Colorado and continued through Dillon, Frisco and then on to Breckenridge for the finish. The picture below is from Sunday. At this point my feet were really hurting and it was hard to put one foot in front of the other. I had to focus on a sign that I had seen earlier on Saturday - "Blisters are easy. Chemo is hard." More beautiful scenery kept us going. We had great weather for the trip - it was only in the mid-70's the whole weekend. Cheyenne and Denver were in the mid to upper 90's so we picked a great time to spend a weekend in the mountains!I had to take a picture of this young man. There were a lot of people along the route with motivational signs and cheers and great attitudes that kept us going. His sign made me giggle the most. At 12 or 13, I don't know that he really knows how much they matter but I appreciate the sentiment. :) Along the route, and especially on the second day, the Avon Crew had rest stops manned by doctors and nurses who paid great attention to your feet! I had blisters the size of extra appendages by this point but it was so nice to be able to let the experts take care of them and patch me up enough to make it to the next mile.

I walked all weekend with my friend Brittany. Her husband and two girls and Glenn and the kids came up on Saturday to see us and cheer us on along the way. It was so nice to have them there! Seeing my kiddos and their sweet faces (and Glenn's too) at mile 11 on Sunday really helped me finish strong.

I'm still trying to fundraise for the Avon Walk as I have two more months to fulfill my fundraising obligation. If you feel moved to donate, go here - http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk/Denver?px=5395344&pg=personal&fr_id=1940. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Back later in the week with pictures of the stars of this blog.

No comments: