Monday, June 21, 2010

Ice cream and giant screaming tantrums... and the Toy Story movie, too

This weekend, I took both kids to the zoo on Saturday so that Glenn could get some work done. It was a pretty nice day. Grandma H came with us, along with Pop-pop's cousin Darla. The weather was nice and both kids really enjoyed looking at all of the animals. Things were going great until we decided to get some ice cream. (Insert ominous music here).
I ordered a small cone for Will and a large(r) cone for me and Reina to share because while I'm sympathetic to the plights of little sisters, I do not think a 16-month old needs her own cone. I gave Reina a few bites with a spoon and then the proverbial you-know-what hit the fan. Reina noticed that her brother had his own cone and she quickly become incredibly dissatisfied with sharing with me. She folded herself in half, howled, crawled away, shook her head emphatically and proceeded to through a big ol' slobbering fit. Even when I offered her spoonfuls of ice cream, she would hit the spoon out of the way and crawl away crying.
Let me clarify an important point: SHE WOULD RATHER HAVE NO ICE CREAM AT ALL THAN SHARE WITH HER MOTHER.
The storm eventually subsided because I ate the ice cream down to a manageable size (yes, it was a sacrifice but one that I'm happy to do for my children) so that The Queen could have own cone. Here's what the aftermath looked like. "Yes, I have my own cone but I'm still angry and will not be making eye contact with you anytime soon." Look closely and you can see a leftover tear or two trickling down her pretty little face. "Lady, I'm serious about the eye contact!" On Sunday, Glenn and I took Will to see Toy Story 3. He was giddy with excitement all weekend and kept asking if it was time to go to the movie yet. (Note to self: Next time, don't tell him that we are going to a movie until about 15 minutes prior to leaving the house.) It's a great movie and the whole family enjoyed it. There were definitely some scary parts but Mr. Stoic handled it well. He also fell asleep within 5 minutes of leaving the movie theater. Go see the movie!!

No comments: