Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Weekend

Easter weekend at the Pauley household! Glenn's been putting in some long hours at the office so the kids and I escaped down to Denver for a trip to the zoo and Grandma and Pop-pops house. First up - a picnic at the zoo.
I had planned on having lunch at a little cafe next to the polar bears but after buying our lunch, wrangling the double stroller through tight corners and finding an empty table in the sun, Will announces that he has to (in his words ) PEE! Which led to the following exchange:

Will: Mom I have to PEE!
Mom: Okay Will. Hold on, I'll pack up the lunch and we'll go find a potty.
Will: (pulling his pants down) I want to pee outside!
Mom: Will, you can't pee outside. We don't pee in public. (pulling his pants back up with one hand while holding Reina with the other)
Will: We're not in PUBLIC!
Mom: Will, you can't pee where people are eating their lunch.
Will: grumble grumble grumble
While at the zoo, we saw many interesting creatures. Here is the elusive apple-juice-loving-easter-bunny. Will really liked these lions. They found us slightly less interesting. yawn.

Will is very empathetic right now. He watched this gorilla for a few minutes and then turned around and told me that the gorilla was sad. I find these creatures fascinating but I agree with Will's sentiment. They do look sad. On a related note - when you ask Will why a person or animal is sad, his usual reply is "because he wants his mommy." Awww!! These are the moments that I force myself to remember when he's throwing a Defcon 5 Level tantrum because we won't read the Buzz Buzz book for the 19th time.




We saw elephants and tigers and giraffes and rode a train. Those all pale in comparison (for a 3-yr old) compared to the joy that exists in hiding behind trash cans when your mom is trying to get everybody headed towards the car.
Will woke up Sunday morning and asked, "Is it Easter Bunny day?" Close, buddy. Glenn had to fly off to Florida to see his dad receive an award from the Austrian embassy (I'm looking for the link and I'll put it in another post) so the kids and I went to church in Brighton. I really like going to church with my parents because with two extra babysitters, there's a decent chance that I'll get to sit through a service. After church, we had Easter breakfast and there was an Easter egg hunt for the kiddos. Here's Will getting pumped up to find some eggs. The Hansens are a competitive clan so it's important for me to pass that personality trait on to the next generation.
Reina wasn't eligible for the rough and tumble Easter egg hunt (wait until next year!) so she watched from the sidelines.
Back at home, they took 30 seconds to pose for Easter pictures before finding even more eggs scattered around Pop-pops house.

Happy Easter to All!

No comments: