Monday, February 8, 2010

Birthday week

In honor of Reina's birthday, we threw a little party for our girl on Super Bowl Sunday. Sensing that we were busy with cleaning and cooking, Reina had one of those mornings where squealing was her communication style of choice and sitting on her own was irritating and anger-inducing. I tried hiding her underneath a pile of balloons (Disclaimer: No babies were harmed in the taking of this photograph) but that only lasted about 30 seconds. Then she was back to squealing. Before the guests arrived, I took a quick picture of our girl in her birthday outfit. It's not that I want her to grow up to be a Broncos cheerleader (have you seen their outfits? Too much flesh!) but doesn't she look cute?Once everyone arrived, it was time for the highlight of all one year-old birthday parties. The cake! Baby's first bite of frosting, sprinkles and whatever "funfetti" is. Yum!
After taking a few bites, Reina clutched the frosting covered part of the cupcake to her chest and talked to it. She has this soft little voice (when she's not squealing) and I can only imagine the conversation went something like this: "Well hello there! Where have you been all of my life? I can't believe mom's been feeding me sweet potatoes and carrots and those wierd meat sticks."
Meanwhile, in another part of the house, Will had a chocolate cupcake in one hand and an candy-coated oreo in the other. Yeah, it was one of those healthy days at the Pauley household.
At one point we had 11 kids and at least as many adults roaming around the house. We had great food, good drinks and a decent football game to watch. But sadly, all parties must come to an end. In this case, the "end" was the big soft shoulder of Pop-pop. (Shhhh.... I think my dad's sleeping with his eyes open in this picture.) But look at that sweet, sweaty girl on his shoulder - we can't believe she's almost 1! Hope you had a good birthday party, Miss Reina. We love you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my kind of menu! I like Will's Oh maaaaaaannnn- I guess we find out what we sound like when our kids start to talk. My nephew is going around saying, "Those are cute!" every time he sees a pair of ladies shoes. His dad isn't impressed. -Kosha

Val said...

Happy Birthday Reina! I can't believe she is already 1.