Friday, June 26, 2020

Day 103

Oh hail no.  

Our Friday afternoon was buzzing along.  Reina was finishing up her week of online art class (so much fun that I signed her up for two more sessions), I was getting work done, Glenn was getting work done, Will was doing who-knows-what and the skies darkened and giant balls of ice fell from the sky.  Okay, so maybe that's slight hyperbole but the hail was big.  Right as it started, I made a mad dash outside to cover my tomato plants with laundry baskets and I got pelted a few times and man it stung.  We stood in the house to watch the storm pass over but it hailed and hailed and hailed.  The size was anywhere from pea to slightly small golf ball but it was relentless.  Somewhere in our county, someone gets a storm like this every summer and I guess it was our turn.  The garden is shredded.  The laundry baskets have holes in them and the tomatoes are no more.  Some of the garden was protected by hail guards but one of those collapsed under the weight of the hail.  The new camper is dented.  But all of those can be fixed, replaced or composted for next year's garden.  We may have to do more shopping at the farmer's market but but with everything that's going on in the world right now, this ain't nothing.  (For the record, these were not the exact words I was saying a few hours ago while I was sobbing (SOBBING) about little baby beets but what can I say, I'm growing.) 

So that rounds out our week.  Will had two nights of baseball and his team went 2-0 the first night and 0-2 the second.  Reina loved her art class.  Glenn and I both had trips to the office but still not plan to go back full time.  Tomorrow we are doing some yard work and then piling everyone into the truck to go to a lake for the afternoon.  Picnics and swimming are just what we need.  

COVID update.  Wyoming's case numbers are up to 1368 but about 1000 of those people have recovered.  That's good  news but unfortunately the numbers keep climbing.  I just read that we might have some new health orders on Monday.  Wear those masks people!  

No comments: