Sunday, August 28, 2016

The rest of the summer

Before I get to highlights from the rest of our summer, I have to document a few interesting conversation topics that came up this weekend.  And I thought toddlers had great conversation topics.  
1.  From Will:  Do we know anyone who was the victim of a pyramid scheme?  Follow-up:  Who's the most famous person who was the victim of a pyramid scheme?  (For posterity's sake, my answers were no and I don't know, google it.  I still need to follow-up on how he learned about pyramid schemes and/or what he thinks pyramid schemes are.) 

2.  From Reina (less of a question- more of a statement).  After volunteering to help me try on  a bunch of new shirts and without a hint of snarkiness or malice, "I'm going to help you look ATTRACTIVE!"  

3.  From Will:  Who's the Pope?  (Asked during church, naturally.)  

So let's talk about the rest of the summer.  We didn't get to do much actual camping but we did have a great day up in the Snowies during the long holiday weekend in July. 

Snow!  In July!  Glenn and the kiddos caught a fish in this lake while I hiked by myself for a few glorious minutes and napped in the truck.  It was a lovely day.  

Will and his fish.  Trigger and little sister were a little jealous.  

Tootsie and Reina and snacktime.
Earlier that weekend, I took a Friday off  of work and we spent a day at the zoo with cousins and friends.  It was a great day to be at the zoo, nice temperatures but overcast skies so it didn't get too hot.
Reluctant sibling posed picture.  

Toddler cousin looking at bears.  I think this is when I asked her "what's the bear doing?" and her reply was "I don't know" said in the tone of 'Lady, I'm not a wildlife biologist how would I know what the bear's doing?' 

Refraining from comment.  
Reina spent part of one morning at my office while we waited for the Frontier Day's parade to start.  She kept herself busy coloring and drawing pictures.  When I finally looked up, I discovered she had redesigned my business card. I think the State Seal should be a cat face. 

Will participated in 4-H shooting sports since February.  In early June, they had their annual county shoot where the kids compete for the chance to go to the state meet.  Since this was Will's first year, we didn't pay a lot of attention to the competitive side of shooting sports.  Glenn was happy for Will to learn more of the safety skills and techniques.  We signed up for county shoot and spent part of a Saturday morning watching Will participate.  Turns out he's a pretty good little marksman and he earned second place in his age group for air rifle.  Baseball interfered with the schedule for the state competition but maybe next year?

Red ribbon!  
Last weekend, we wrapped up the summer with a trip to see the Rockies play the Cubs in Denver.  Pop-pop, the Cubs fan this season, came with us.  It was Wyoming night at Coors Field so we all received cool UW colored Rockies hats.  The brim is too curved for Will's tastes but he agreed to wear it for one night.  Unfortunately, the game didn't go well for the Rockies and Will's competitiveness necessitated a walk around the concourse when the game got particularly bad.  He simmered down when we found a kid's booth where he could pitch to a fake catcher and have his pitches tracked on the radar gun.  In spite of the score, we had a fun evening at the ballpark and ironically, the Rockies beat up on the Cubs the next day.  Will and I watched it on tv and he begged for a return trip to Coors Field before the season ends.  We'll see.  
Take me out to the ballgame.... 


No comments: