Monday, May 30, 2016

Reina's week

Last week, I had to travel to Santa Fe for work.  It was the last week of school and Glenn had to run a little ragged to get everyone to all of the places they needed to be, without an extra set of hands.  He did a terrific job.  

Reina had a slightly weird week.  On Wednesday afternoon, she fell going *up* our stairs and whacked her chin on the steps and bruised up her shins.  Later that night, Glenn called me and I could hear Reina wailing in the background.  She'd been holding on to the remote and put her hand on the stairs which Glenn then stepped on as he was coming downstairs.  When he called, the incident had just happened and Reina was wailing and I tried to help calm her down.  I was only marginally successful.  

Fast forward an hour and a half. I'm headed out to find a Target in Santa Fe because I am that kind of a tourist and Glenn calls to ask which of the nearest urgent care offices are still open.  Reina's finger is still bleeding and he's thinking she'll need stitches.  He loads Reina up in the car and I try to help calm her down again...she's momentarily diverted to tell me about playing with Pop-pop and Grandma earlier in the evening and Pop-pop kept pretending to barf.  Glenn says he'll keep me posted and we sign off. 

A few minutes later, Glenn texts that the doctor is ordering an x-ray of Reina's hand because they are worried it's fractured.  She's pretty freaked out and is shaking so hard that they can't get a good oxygen reading on her.  She is interested in seeing the inside of her hand, however.  I text back to see which finger is injured and he says the 'pointer.'  

Glenn calls a few more minutes later to report that she's fine now, no fracture, no stitches.  Just a big pink bandage.  

This just might be the highlight of her young life so far.  
And oh yeah, it's actually her middle finger.  By now, Reina is calm and charming the doctors and nurses.  She says "I don't mean to be rude..." as she holds up her hand.

I was home the next night, in time to see the giant pink bandage and hear the story all over again.  The next day, I pick up both kiddos from school for the last day and Reina's complaining about her ear hurting.  I notice her ear is red underneath her hair and when I pull her hair back, I see a tick chewing on her ear.  I immediately panic and look around for an adult, and then I remember that I'm actually one so I try to pull the tick off with my fingernail and then a little card thing on my key chain and when that's not successful, I take her inside the school to the nurse's office.  Luckily, there is an adult manning the nurse's office and she grabs a pair of tweezers and gets that sucker out of there.

Later that night, Reina has a slight fever which gets higher as the weekend goes on but I abstain from googling "weird tick diseases and fevers" and decide she probably just has a bad cold.  She's feeling much better today and is ready for whatever this next week has in store.  Hopefully less ticks.

No comments: