Thursday, April 14, 2016

When you take an introvert to an autograph signing

My football fan
Last Saturday, Glenn and Reina went fishing after Will's soccer game, but Will opted to stay in town with me and we went to UW's spring football practice in Cheyenne.  The weather was decent (it wasn't snowing) and we had fun sitting in the sun, eating barbecue and watching the team practice.  Will was hoping for more of a scrimmage and he was frustrated that no one was officially keeping score.  My boy is all about the analytics right now.   We stayed for quite a while and decided to head back home to watch baseball.  As we were walking out to the car, we noticed the practice was over and the players were getting ready to sign autographs.  I asked Will if he wanted to go back and get autographs and he quickly said "no."  I told him that I had three big sports regrets.  1) I didn't drive to Rawlins to watch the Broncos win the 1997/98 Super Bowl with my dad.  2) I didn't take the day off of work to go see the parade after the Broncos won that first Super Bowl.  3) A few years ago we were at a UW football game and Larry Nance Jr (now playing in the NBA - at the time a UW basketball player) was standing about 5 feet from us and I didn't ask him to take a picture with Will. UW football has a great running back who very well may play in the NFL someday and I told Will that I didn't want him to have any sports regrets like I did.  We turned around and headed back to the field.  

Will sought out the quarterbacks first and this young man was super nice.  Good luck this season Josh!  

Brian Hill, Wyoming's star RB.  He chatted with Will about running backs and Will's favorite sports.  All of them.  

Don't forget about the defense!  Will and one of the linebackers.  
Will collected many more autographs and we had a nice Saturday.  We still have an entire baseball season waiting for us and a soccer season to finish up, but we are already for football around here!  

No comments: