Sunday, February 28, 2016

Skiing

Yesterday, I took the kiddos skiing at Snowy Range.  We've been there once each year for the last two years. I wish I could carve out more time to get these kids on skis but schedules and finances make skiing a tough hobby at this age.  BUT, we had a great day and I have two daredevils on my hands. 

Look, they are actually sort of hugging each other!
I put them both in ski school for a few hours in the morning so that I could ski by myself for a while.  I'm much less of a daredevil than I was a few decades ago but I did go down a few runs that I knew the kids wouldn't want to attempt...yet.  When ski school was done, I picked them up and we had a picnic lunch.  It was a pretty day in the Snowies.  The sun was shining and the resort has a lot of snow.  They hadn't had any fresh snow in a while so some parts were getting a little icy. 

Lunch  break selfies.  Lots of smiles because I packed chips and cookies.  
After lunch, the three of us headed back out on our skis.  We did the bunny slope for a while and then ventured out on the "big" ski lift.  I found an easy trail for us to take down and it worked well, for the most part.  Reina and I had what she's now calling "Mom and Reina's Super Crash of 2016" where she lost both skis and I found myself bending my legs at angles they normally don't bend at.  But all's well that end's well and after a few well placed hugs and reassurances that everybody was okay, we continued down the mountain.  (Will had a sympathy crash when he saw us go down but he was fine.)  Once we got to the bottom, Reina decided to take a break on the bunny slope and Will and I headed back up again.  This time, we made it down unscathed and to my surprise and delight, Reina was ready to try it again.  She's one tough cookie.  This time she and I both made it down with only a slight crash and I think we even attempted it one more time?  The three of us stayed until the lifts shut down and drove home, tired but happy.  Today I have sore muscles and a gorgeous black and blue bruise on my leg.  Reina claims to feel no pain, Will says his legs are sore but both are ready to try it again.  I hope winter isn't quite done with Wyoming because I'd like to get back out there again, too.

No comments: