Thursday, February 11, 2016

A letter to the birthday girl, one day late

Dear Reina:

Today, you are 7.  No one in the history of the world has been more ready to be 7.  Did I write that last year about turning 6?  The night before your birthday, as I was tucking you in, you told me that you couldn't wait to be 7 because you could finally touch the ceiling fan.  I tried to hide my stumped look as you rattled off a list of other things that were great about being 7 and I wracked my brain trying to figure out the connection between ceiling fans and 7.  The only thing I can think of is at some point you must've asked to touch the ceiling fan and I said "oh, you have to wait until you're 7."  Who knows what I've assigned to 8, 9, 10, etc. I guess we'll find out together!

So back to your birthday.  You woke me up at 6:05 - Daddy was on a work trip.  We usually can't drag  you out of bed before 7:00 a.m. so it was obviously a special occasion.  We trooped downstairs with your brother and you opened up your presents.  You got the Shopkins that you wanted, a purple/pink Nerf gun so that you can battle Will and your dad, some clothes, your very own cookbook and cooking tools and roller blades.  Your grandparents gave you a penguin shirt and slippers and art supplies and jewelry and Aunt Vicky is taking you on a spa date.  I think 7 is starting off pretty well.

Reina, you are a delight.  I can't think of any other word that describes you better.  You are smart and interested in a wide range of topics from cats (naturally) to Egypt to old houses and olden times and weird tv shows featuring characters that are like the second generation of all of the Disney movies or something along those lines.  You are reading like crazy and recite signs and billboards to me as we drive down the road.  You'll watch Broncos and Cowboys games with all of us and you get upset when you hear people talk about Peyton Manning retiring.  You like to go hunting with your dad and Bobo but you also like to snatch a few hours of a "girls' day" with me and we go to Target and watch Frozen for the 9000th time and sometimes we paint nails.

You love your cousins and all of your family members and you draw pictures of all of us on adventures. I think you are a wonderful artist and the table is covered with your masterpieces as I type this letter. There's a lot going on in that brain of yours and I can't wait to see what comes next.  Happy birthday sweet girl, we love you!

No comments: