Sunday, March 22, 2015

A letter to the birthday boy

Dear Will: Today you are eight.  8!   You grow taller every day - you are up to my armpits already.  I can lift you up but it leaves us both in a heap of giggles.  You are a kind, conscientious kid.  We see it at home but we also hear from your teacher that you are a good friend and compassionate to your classmates.  You play with Reina and go along with her princess/baby/pony/kitten games every once in a while, but she usually tags along with your battles and adventures in the backyard.  Will, you are so patient with your little cousin, you show patience with her that I don't see with any other members of our family.  You two played with your Transformers the other night and you were delighted that she was interested in 'boy toys.' 
 
Will, you are still my sports buddy.  You became a big fan of the Cowboys during this basketball season and I'm excited to take you to a Broncos game in the fall.  You've been on more than a couple of hunts with your dad in the past few months and you come back tired but happy.  You even asked for hunting clothes for your birthday this year and your dad immediately got online at Cabelas and ordered you a bunch of stuff.  And by immediately, I mean about 5 minutes after your conversation.  You are also having a lot of fun playing sports.  We just finished the basketball season and you are signed up for baseball and swimming.  You want me to sign you up for soccer too, but I think we are booked up right now kiddo. 
 
You tell me that you want to be a soldier when you grow up but you've also been talking about being a writer and a cartoonist.  You are very interested in World War II, big battles in general, Star Wars, Legos and creative writing (in the poop humor genre).  You have a lot going on in that big brain of yours and we spend a lot of time googling things like "when was the first gun invented" and "how many people died in the Battle of Gettysburg?"  You love "what if" questions, like "Mom, what would you do if we saw a tank driving down our street?"   I still don't know the answer to that one.  What would I do? 
 
Will, you are doing well in school.  You are a whiz at spelling and I'm amazed at some of the math that you are already learning in second grade.  You are figuring out multiplication and division and even starting on fractions right now.  I'm going to have to brush up on my times tables to keep up with you.  You still dislike singing in public but your choir teacher tells me that you bravely sing your parts during class.  I think I'll be able to keep you in line by threatening to sign you up for choir, so keep that in mind buddy. 
 
Here are some pictures from your birthday celebration:  

Opening presents in the wee hours of your birthday morning.  We told you that you had to wait until after 6:00 a.m. to wake us up.  You gave us until 6:15, generous boy.

Surprise - it's a Lego! 

This picture sums up how your sister felt about getting up early to watch you open presents....

Nike socks in focus, birthday boy's face not so much.  Will, your mom probably needs glasses. 

I need to add Under Armour and Nike to your list of "likes."

I have about 30 pictures of you making poses like this one.

This is doesn't have a lot to do with your birthday, but Reina's monkey was hanging out in the living room and I was walked by I almost jumped out of my skin.

Eight birthday candles on some UW cupcakes for the birthday boy. 
So happy birthday, my big kid.  You are a heck of a lot of fun right now and we love you so much.  I think EIGHT is going to be a great year. 

No comments: