Saturday, October 12, 2013

Scenes from October and an example of why I'm not a world famous wildlife photographer

This is a great-horned owl who has been spotted on our neighbor's roof a few times this summer.  I have a few other pictures of him (her?) but my camera isn't cooperating tonight.  My kingdom for a zoom lens.  Anyway, he's pretty neat and we all go racing out of the house when there's a sighting of him.  Reina's enthusiasm for Mr. Owl was slightly tempered when she asked what he ate and Glenn replied, "cats."   I'm curious to know where he spends the winter or even the daytime because our only sightings of him have been at dusk but sadly I don't speak owl and he's not interested in even making eye contact at this point. 
 
Lego Boy strikes again.  Some of my aunts came to Vicky's baby shower last weekend as a surprise. I couldn't even tell the kids until the night before their arrival because I couldn't guarantee that Reina wouldn't blurt it out, but when I did tell them, they were both excited and Will said "maybe I'll get some new Legos!"  The aunts know the quickest way to his heart. 
The night of the owl sighting, Glenn and the kids were outside trying to enjoy the last few weeks of friendly weather.  The night after I took these pictures, Will and I were at football practice and the wind was howling and the temperature was about 20 degrees lower that it was in this picture.  Brrrrrr.
Glenn and I take turns reading to the kids at night and when I came in to put laundry away, I found this scene.  I thought to myself, "this is my whole life's happiness wrapped up in one spot."  I'm pretty sure I'm borrowing that phrase from a movie (but I can't remember which one), but it's true. 
Today, Reina and I took the dogs to a field near our house for a bit of exercise for everyone involved.  I'm not sure who needed it more.  Reina was bummed that Tootsie was faster than her, but it wasn't for lack of trying. 
 Little girl on the prairie.  With a bucket full of Halloween crafts.  True story. 
And a homemade 'laser gun' that she insisted on toting but I carried after the first 30 seconds there.  She's getting so big.  I took her to a Halloween craft class this morning under the guise of having a few minutes to myself to buy her Halloween costume supplies.  The nice older lady leading the group of kids asked me what grade Reina was in.  When I said she was only 4, the lady replied, "Well my!  She's very precocious."  I laughed and told her she had no idea. 
Speaking of precocious, check out this very serious Statue of Liberty. 
 Here's the forced-smile-but-I'd-rather-be-serious Statue of Liberty.  Reina's class has been studied all things America in the last few weeks and she proudly points out all of the American flags we see while we are driving around town and 'that one with the buffalo.' She told me today that she knows the Legends of Legions and it took me a few minutes to figure out The Pledge of Allegiance.  Future DAR girl, right here. 

No comments: