Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The last day of kindergarten

Yesterday was Will's last day as a kindergartner.  This school year flew by too fast!  This morning he woke up bright and early, dressed in his "sports clothes" and ate breakfast. I drove him past his school to the place where he will attend parks and rec camp all summer, and as we passed the normal drop-off spot, he said, "I'm a little sad that I won't see my teacher today."  I think that one sentence sums up his kindergarten experience.  Lovely.  He (and we!) liked his teacher a lot, he did very well on his report card (yes, I know it's just kindergarten but it's still nice to see high marks) and he grew up so much.  The fresh-faced little ninja-shirt-wearing 5-yr old has morphed into a sports-obsessed, hat-wearing, please-can-I-have-a-nike-backpack first-grader. 

Let's look back.  First day of kindergarten.  Those shorts hardly fit today and the shirt has been relegated to the back of the closet because it's not made of performance fabric. 
 Baby face!! 
Now the last day of school.  With Grandma Hansen who was celebrating her Last Day of School Ever.  Happy retirement Grandma! 
Last week on the monkey bars.  He's so proud of himself that he can cross all by himself.  He couldn't do that at the beginning of the year. 
 I'm not sure how tall her grew since August but it feels like 3 feet. 
Will now has TWO loose teeth and at his dental check-up this morning, the dentist told Glenn that Will needs to keep wiggling the teeth or even have Will's mommy wiggle them so that they'll come out faster.  I thought Glenn was pulling my leg but apparently moms have smaller hands than dads.  Will's dentist has apparently never met me (Mrs. Man Hands) plus I get queasy even thinking about helping him loosen his teeth (I really just shuddered and gagged a little bit typing that) so, yeah. 

OKAY - retraction time.  While telling Glenn that I was putting that story on the blog, he giggled and said that he was just kidding and he told me that just to freak me out.  Mission accomplished eh?  Glenn is officially in charge of all things involving tooth extraction. 

Today was one of those days of the year when I woke up and wished that I had gone into teaching.  Alas.  While I don't have a long summer vacation ahead of me, the kids do and we have a lot of fun things planned.  Bring on Summer 2013!

No comments: