Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A letter to the birthday boy


Dear Will:  Today you are six.  Six!  How is that possible?  I took cookies to your class at school and one of your friends told me that you've been telling everyone you are seventeen.  Let's take one year at a time, okay? 

Your birthday this year is a whirlwind of Angry Birds, Star Wars and a little bit of Ninjago/Lego Chima thrown in for good measure.  You still love your Lego's.  When you are not busy putting together a new set, you are combining a bunch of your old Lego sets into something imaginative and a little crazy.  You have pirate ships that fire lasers, police cars driven by Jedi's and something with a mermaid.  You have an awesome imagination and when you come home from school, you head straight for your room, bypassing cartoons and snacks so that you can work on your latest project.

You also love everything Star Wars.  Every book you bring home from the library is about Star Wars.  You fall asleep listening to the soundtrack from all six movies.  One of the only things you actually asked for on your birthday was a "robe" which I luckily figured out wasn't a bathrobe but an official Jedi cape.  You told me today that you still need a belt for your lightsaber.  I'm working on that one buddy. 

Will, you are a delightful kid.  You have learned so much in kindergarten and I can see almost see the wheels in your brain turning as you ponder and figure things out.  You and your dad are both ponderers.  You are officially a reader and one of my favorite parts of the day is to sit down with you and work our way through a book.  You are a very good big brother.  You and Reina know how to push each other's buttons, but I think you are her favorite person on the planet.  You are turning into your dad's hunting buddy and my little sports fan.  You came home from school one day last winter and told me that someone in your class wasn't a Broncos fan.  You were astonished that someone would NOT be a Broncos fan.  How dare they, right?  You also have a very sweet side and I see it more and more each day.  You worry about hurting people's feelings and you still get a little alarmed when I tell you that someone doesn't feel well.  You remember your dad being sick last year and that made a big impression on you. 

One last thing.  You have a terrific sense of humor. I think the Hansen DNA runs fiercely through your viens in that area.  While sitting at the dinner table tonight for your birthday feast, you turned to me and told me that you had to tell me a secret.  As I leaned in close to you, you burped in my ear.  Happy birthday big kid.  I say this every year, but I can't wait to see what the next year brings.

No comments: