Sunday, July 29, 2012

The beginning of a new era

First, it was the fireman....
Then there were brief periods of knighthood, soldiering and all around ninja stuff before the pirate thing stuck.....
And now, we usher in a new era.  Ladies and Gentlemen, Cowboy Will! 
The trend started last week when I dug the two-sizes-too-big boots out of his closet in honor of Frontier Days.  He immediately put them on and insisted on wearing them for every waking moment of the day and probably a few non-waking moments too. 
For church today, Glenn put together the cowboy outfit and Will wore not only jeans but a button up shirt without a mumble of protestation.  He even took the hat off when we were inside church after I explained that cowboys are respectful and take their hats off when they are inside church.  He also removed a holster and pistol because he told me "we don't have guns in church."  True! 

I'll post more about Frontier Days later but yesterday we took the kids up to the park and watched some Native American dancing and walked through booths and a petting zoo with a baby wallaby (???).  Both kids came away with cowboy hats.  As we were walking back to the car, Cowboy Will was holding my hand and strutting down the street and talking my ear off.  He said "Mom, before we were born, you really liked cowboys, right?"  Put another check mark in the 'genetic memory' box because, yes, yes, Will, I did like cowboys.  And I still get a little swoony when Glenn wears jeans and a western shirt but that's clearly a story for another day. 

No comments: